Surgery for Right Eyelid Ptosis?

I am 30 years old and I have acute ptosis in my right eye since birth. Initially, the eyelid used to cover the entire eyeball. I got it operated 7 years back, and the surgeon used the sling method to fix it. However, after a couple of months, it started drooping back again. Now, the eyelid covers about 75% of the eyeball. I am considering a surgery again, I want to know if there has been any new advancements in the surgery techniques because after my first surgery (which didn’t fix the problem completely) I had several problems. Any advice on treatment?

Doctor Answers 3

Ptosis repair

It sounds like it is time to have your right eyelid ptosis repaired again. If it is blocking 75% of the visual fields across the pupil it will need to be repaired. There are multiple different techniques for performing ptosis repair from the traditional outside incision approach in the eyelid crease to the inside approach by trimming Mueller’s muscle on the inside of the eyelid. An oculoplastic surgeon with many years of experience performing these types of procedures would be the best surgeon for your needs.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 146 reviews

Right eyelid ptosis

Dear Ray

Crowell Beard, M.D. wrote the definitive text book on ptosis surgery in 1969. I have to say that it remains a very important reference 40 years later. It is said that children with ptosis need an oculoplastic surgeon for life. Your sling surgery needs to be revised. You might consider looking up Dr. David Wilkes in Little Rock.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Congenital eyelid ptosis

Dear Ray

There are multiple techniques available to fix ptosis (droopy eyelid). If you have that much blockage of your visual field you will need revisional surgery. Make sure you look for someone who has experience doing this kind of surgery.

Kami K. Parsa, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
4.9 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.