Eyebag Treatment for Large Under Eye Bags?

I am 22 years old and my under eye bags are enormous. The bags that I have are below my eyes and I am constantly being told I always look so tired and I am actually well rested. My bags look kind of like sacks of water.

I think it is hereditary because my relatives also have these unusually big sacks under their eyes. How can these be removed and is it expensive?

Treatment for Large Eye Bags

If the bags are very large, lower eyelid blepharoplasty with skin resection (removal of skin) is the appropriate procedure for you. If the fat is simply removed, you will be left with loose wrinkly skin. The bags are probably less substantial and not as serious as you think they are. Consultation with a specialist in eyelid surgery will guide you in the right decision for treatment. All the best!

Treatment for Large Eye Bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Transconjunctival fat removal

this procedure was designed for you and your family members. do it early to prevent stretching of your eyelid skin and thus adding skin resection to your operation. besides it only gets worse with time and you will never be healthier. this is true if the bulges are fat, I'm guessing based on your age and family description they are.

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Transconjunctival fat removal

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty for eye bags

This is truly the real goal of lower eye lid surgery, to remove the excess fat from the lower lids.

Based on your description without pictures, there may also be extra skin after removal of the excess fat.  Therefore, the best approach may be an open approach with an incision below your lashes to remove the excess fat and then tighten the skin of the lower lid removing the extra skin.  The resul should be a refreshed look, no longer tired.

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Lower blepharoplasty for eye bags

Roger J. Friedman, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Eye bag treatments, younger people

There are many causes of eye bags. Some are shadow issues, some are discoloration issues.  Most people have a multi-factorial problem meaning they have more than one problem causing this demarcation. You are young so it seems that you likely have fat pads that are prominent and would benefit from orbital fat trans-positioning. Below are some common causes and my treatment protocols but this can only be determined after a facial analysis and consultation.

1. Prolapsed orbital fat through the orbital septum: treated with lower lid blepharoplasty and fat transpositioning. Can also be helped with fillers or auto fat transfer to the face but the ideal treatment in my hands is surgery for this issue.

2. Eczema: much more common in young people with fair skin. The treatment for this is to hold off on makeup and any manipulation of the lower lid for a few weeks and try some topical anti inflammatory creams. If you have allergies those should be treated also.  A dermatologist is the best person to see for this. We have a multidisciplinary clinic with myself, a plastic surgeon, and my partner, a dermatologist which I think is ideal!

3. Fluid accumulation and/or redundant skin. Could be possible in young patients but would need a good facial analysis and exam to determine. A low salt diet (< 1000mg/day) and a warm compress can help.  I would consider treating with filler/fat transfer, lower lid fractional ablative laser and/or lower lid blepharoplasty.

4. Descent of midface cheek pad. This then causes the nasojugular ligament to become more prominent creating a demarcation and separation of the eye from the cheek subunit. Treated with mid face lift and/or fat transfer.

It is all about the balance of this transition from the orbit to the cheek. There are many ways to treat this and they vary by the underlying cause. I recommend seeing a surgeon who also does a lot of these treatments. This can make a big difference as most people have a combination of the above that lead to the issue.

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye bag treatments, younger people

Hope this helps.

DrC

Benjamin Caughlin, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for a large under eye bags

At 22 years of age its important to make sure there are no allergies, thyroid conditions and at least try a low-salt diet. If he large under  eye bags are still present, then a lower eyelid  trans-conjunctival approach for  a conservative removal of the 3 fatty deposits in the lower lids is performed to remove the bags. For many examples, please see the link below to our eyelid surgery photo gallery

Treatment for a large under eye bags

Treatment of large undereye bags

If you truly have large, puffy bags under the eyes, lower blepharoplasty is your only good option. Cost can vary from $2500-$5000 depending on the surgeon's skill and regional cost. Be careful to choose your surgeon based on demonstrated track record of excellent results - not just cost. Don't gamble with your face and eyes!

Treatment of large undereye bags

Yes there are definitely genetic reasons for have

In your situation the best option is having the procedure done through the inside of the lower eyelid because at your age you will not need any tightening of external skin.  The recovery from the procedure is about one week.  You will have some swelling and bruising that is controlled well with arnica.

Treatment of Lower Lid Bags in Young People

Without an exam or detailed photos specific advice cannot be given. However from your description and young age you most likely have familial fat pad prominence. If this is the case then removing the fat pads from an invisible incision just inside your lower eyelid (transconjunctival approach) can remove or reposition your fat pads so that they no longer are bulging.

Eyelid bags, eyelid bag removal cost

Dear Kimmel several top doctors have answered this question accurately for you. Surgery is the most conservative and reliable method costing between $2000-$3000 depending on your city.  Swelling can take up to a month to subside.

Alternative treatments are injections into the eyelid to dissolve the fat or injection of fat or Juvederm below the lid to diminish the groove below and lessen the bulge.  The price for these depends on the product used  and your doctor ranging from $500 to $1500.

Please consult in person with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making any treatment decisions as this area can be tricky to treat properly i.e. avoid bumps from injections.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Eyelid bags, eyelid bag removal cost

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Eyelid bags

The best solution for this is usually a transconjunctival blepharoplasty with a fat transposition.  In this operation the fat is repositioned, not removed.  Removal of the fat can lead to a hollow look later on.  I have attached a link to photos of a patient of mine.

Eyelid bags