Eye Surgery 3 Years Ago, Uneven Eyes?

Hi, I had surgery on a turned eye 3 years ago and the result is not good. I had previously had 3 surgeries on the eye The eye now turns in slightly and is larger than the other eye. It is quite noticeable and friends and a doctor who knew me prior to the operation are quite shocked. I have been back to the surgeon twice but he says it is OK. A retired eye surgeon told me he thought it was slightly higher than the other eye and that was the problem. I just wonder if there are any suggestions?

Doctor Answers 4

Eye surgery can be difficult after 4 operations.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Very hard to give you specific advice.  I would recommend that you see one or two oculoplastic surgeons for evaluation.

Manhattan Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is impossible to assess your problem without photo or examination. The asymmetry could be due to ptosis, eyelid retraction, proptosis, etc.   See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Aligning an eye can be very difficult business.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is not really what oculoplastic surgeons do.  You need a strabismus surgeon.  They are also called a pediatric ophthalmologist.  This is a board certified ophthalmologist who is fellowship trained in pediatric ophthalmology and strabismus.  Many communities have very good community based pediatric ophthalmologists.  However and especially for a re-operated strabismus issue, I recommend that you take yourself to see a University based academic ophthalmologist who does strabismus.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Turned eye

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you are having problems with the eye muscles, not the eylid itself, is this right?  You should get another opinion from an eye muscle specialist.  There is a limit to how much surgery you can have on the eye muscles so that the vascular supply to the eye is not compromised.  It would be best to get all of your records and operative reports and seek another opinion with an eye muscle surgeon.  Sometimes they can even put prisms in your glasses to help the eye appear straight.


Good luck

Jasmine Mohadjer, MD
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.