Sagging Upper Eyelid, Age 29 - Alternatives to Eye Surgery?

I am 29 and i have one upper eyelid that sags it really bothers me as i can see the difference between the two . what are my options apart from eye surgery?

Doctor Answers 5

Thermage as a nonsurgical option

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The eyes are the windows to the soul. All too often, however, they seem to reveal exhaustion. The very delicate skin around the eyes tends to get crepey and puffy due to fatigue and stress. While it's difficult to determine without a photo, an effective non-surgical option that might benefit you is Thermage, which can tighten the skin around the eyes. The new and improved Thermage is a virtually painless, non-invasive (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

Eyelid Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The option aside from surgery is to do nothing.  There are only two good choices.  One is free, the other will cost you a surgery fee.  The rest are a waste of your time and money.  There are some eye exercises which may be of some minimal benefit, but you will be better served with surgery if indicated.  No cream magic will correct this.

Photos would be very helpful.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If one of your upper eyelids is heavy, then no there really is no alternative to having an eyelid surgery.  However, I would not advise that you see a general plastic surgeon for this type of work.  Instead, you need to see a specialist.  This would be a fellowship trained eyelid plastic surgeon.  I believe that there are some American trained oculoplastic surgeons practicing in Peru.  This is who you need to see.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

You might also like...

Increased upper eyelid skin choices

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The increased upper eyelid skin can be from three things.

  1. excess skin of the upper eyelid...not very common in a 29 year old
  2. low placement of the eyebrows that manifests as upper eyelid fiullness...more likely in a 29 year old
  3. congenital unilateral upper eyelid true ptosis...also not very common in a 29 year old without a history of trauma

 A consultation with an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon will reveal which, of the three causes, applies to you and you'll get the appropraite solutions both suirgical and non-surgical.  The non-surgical option would include Botox and fillers (Perlane, Restylane, Juvederm) to increase volume of the upper eyesocket whcih would raise that eyebrow resulting in a decrease of the upper eyelid fullness.

Unilateral eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You seem to describe unilateral eyelid ptosis where one eyelid is lower than the other (more saggy). Besides surgery (ptosis repair) there are no other non-surgical options. The surgery is in fact quite easy and can be done under local anesthesia and will take about 30 to 45 minutes. The recovery is about 5 days. I would strongly suggest that you go ahead with the surgery since you will be quite happy with the resul. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.