One Eye Was Overcorrected, Can I Have a Second Eye Lid Surgery?

I had an upper eyelid surgery on both eyes 4 months ago . well the doctor did a good job on my left eye while he corrupted my right eye leaving it short ( what I mean is that he cut to much from the eyelid ) now it's sharp and when i raise my eyebrow the eye lifts more .. I was so stubborn my parents disagreed to the surgery while I insisted , God I have so much regret in me . Please Drs can I do a second one and make everything back to normal I want my next doctor to put the skin down a little

Doctor Answers 6

One Eye Was Overcorrected, Can I Have a Second Eye Lid Surgery?

Without evaluating you in person, it is hard to give you an exact response.  However, in general, revisional eyelid surgery not only can be done, but is often done.  See an experienced Oculoplastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Revisional eyelid surgery

Achieving perfect symmetry in ptosis surgery is difficult but it is important to be able to close your eyes after.  It sounds like the eyelid was lifted too much? That can be either because the levator muscle was advanced too much or too much skin removed. Corrective surgery can be done.  You need to see an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Revision surgery is possible

Over or undercorrection of ptosis repair [droopy eyelid] is not uncommon. Removing too much skin during blepharoplasty also is a concern. Both conditions [and it is uncertain which category you fall into without a true exam, or at least some good photos with eyes open and closed] can be revised, with varying degrees of aesthetically pleasing results.

In general, before attempting challenging revision surgery, it is best to allow the scar to soften which can continue for about 1 year after surgery. In some severe instances, it may not be prudent to wait that long, but those cases are the exception rather than the rule.

Massage, and in some cases anti scar injections can be good temporizing measures while allowing the scar to slowly soften.

Speak to your surgeon about your concerns,  or seek an ASOPRS trained oculoplastics surgeon for a second opinion.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

One Eye Was Overcorrected, Can I Have a Second Eye Lid Surgery?

You might want to try massaging and streching the upper eyelid skin which may help.  It's far easier than a skin graft to that eyelid, IMHO.  In either case, bes sure that your plastic and cosmetic surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

One Eye Was Overcorrected, Can I Have a Second Eye Lid Surgery?

No photos posted so very hard to answer. Recommend 2 second opinion in person consults. Whether you had just a blepharoplasty or ptosis we need more information. Seek in person advise. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Revisional Eyelid Surgery

It sounds like you had ptosis surgery rather than blepharoplasty surgery.  There are several common methods of ptosis surgery, so it is difficult to advise you without knowing what was done.  However, all of the variations of ptosis surgery can be revised.  Have you discussed your concerns with your surgeon?  He or she should be able to perform revision surgery if it is indicated (you need to be willing to accept some degree of asymmetry with any ptosis surgery).  If your surgeon is not able to address your concerns, you should seek a second opinion from an oculoplastic surgeon.  You may be able to find you by searching at

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.