Eye Bags After Fat Grafting Procedure

Is it possible that the remaining fat will be absorbed or will it have to be surgicallly corrected?

Doctor Answers 4

Eye bags after fat grafting procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


It depends on how long ago your fat transfer procedure was performed.

You need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It may be possible to blend the protruding fat by using Restylane injections. There is a procedrue called Acculift that uses laser assisted liposuction to smooth fat.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Fat transfer to lower lids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fat transfers can be successful, or very commonly, be very fleeting, depending on many factors.

How long ago did you did you have the procedure?

Likely, you will need a blepharoplasty. On thing that may help is transposition of the orbital fat with its blood supply in order to plump up hollow orbits or tear trough deformities.

Fat grafting to eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would agree with Dr. Persky.

Depending on the timing of the placement of the fat, it is highly unlikely that it has "fallen a few centimeters.". It is more likley that you still have some persistant swelling that is contributing to this. If it is swelling, it is likely to resolve. If it truly is fat, then surgery may be required to treat the problem.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

Fat falling below eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If the fat has been displaced it may be removed surgically but there is a chance of bruising and even bleeding whether it is done by traditional surgery or liposuction. If you haven't seen the doctor who did the procedure, you should schedule a follow-up appointment for them to evaluate you. Cortisone injections may thin the fat, but youmay want to ask an ophthalmologist if this would increase your risk for glaucoma or cataracts despite your young age. If you do not have a satisfactory answer from the treating physician see an oculoplastic surgeon for a second opinion.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.