If I Explant, Do I Need to Remove the Strattice That's Been Sewn In?

I have rippling in my cleavage area although I have silicone below the muscle implants due to the fact that my surgeon released my muscles along the sternum. My new surgeon is recommending strattice to improve the rippling. My question is if I ever decide to explant, what happens to the strattice in my body. Will it need to be removed? If not, will it be bumpy because it was sewn over the contours of the implants, or will the strattice flatten out against my chest wall over time?

Your body will incorporate the Strattice

Hi there,

I am sorry to hear that you are having rippling after having breast implants put it in. This is a known complication and adding in Strattice is a good method to help improve this. When Strattice is placed and sewn into place, it will become integrated into your body over time, hence if you ever decide to have your implants explanted, depending on what time point this is after the Strattice is put in, you may not be able to see it anymore so cannot remove it. It should not be bumpy, and yes it should appear flattened out. 

I hope this helps answer your question.

Once acellular dermal matrix has been utilized, it incorporates into the patient's native tissues (within weeks/months). Although your plastic surgeon may visualize a color difference during surgery, it should not affect your surgery (including
explantation) at all. Best wishes.

Strattice effective at covering implant rippling

Using Strattice to conceal rippling is very effective for the problem you describe. Think of it as a sort of internal bra, not a soft fabric draped over the contours of the implant. Once it has incorporated, you should not feel it. Strattice and Alloderm are transformed over time into your own living tissue.

Richard Baxter, MD