What to Expect During Gastric Bypass Consultation

Looking around for doctors and have made one appointment so far. What will happen during the appointment? 

How to prepare for a Gastric Bypass consultation

During your first appointment with a bariatric surgeon, you will be asked to provide clear and accurate documentation of your current and past medical problems as well as any medications that you are taking. Also it s beneficial to gather a 2 to 5 year history of being overweight and this can be achieved by obtaining records from previous primary care doctor visits, ob-gyn visits, orthopedic visits, etc. You may also bring proof that you have tried non-surgical methods to loose weight such weight watcher or jenny craig or a similar structured plan that you may have participated in.  A little research about the surgeries prior to seeing your doctor will also help understand the dialogue much better. 

Houston General Surgeon

Gastric Bypass consultation

All surgeons have different ways of performing consultations.  I like to perform a one on one private consultation with patients and explain all of the risks, benefits, and alternatives of the various weight loss procedures that are available.  I then answer any questions the patients may have. usually you do not need to bring anything with you.  If you have a complex medical history you may want to bring a list of any medications you take.