What Can I Expect at Consultation? (photo)

I'm setting up a consultation with a dermatologist after losing 80 pounds, some of which was in my face (of course). I do not have the time or money to interview 50 different doctors. I need to know what kind of questions to ask, answers to expect, etc. I don't want to just get sold on a product by someone preying on my insecurity. Specifically, my under eye area is a big concern. What product/technique/concerns should I be looking for in a good doctor?

Doctor Answers 10

Under Eye Treatments

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Wow, 80 lbs? Congratulations! Your first step before identifying which questions you need to ask is identifying the right doctor in your area. Someone board certified in facial plastic surgery would be ideal for your situation. Ask around, visit websites, and do your research before ever setting foot into an office. Once you have settled on the physician of your choice it is important to ask which treatment is right for you.

For under eye bags there are a variety of treatments including laser treatments, fat grafting, fillers, and different surgeries. Ask about the pros and cons of each of these and which is most suitable. One of the best non-surgical treaments for this area is Sculptra.

Good Luck!

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid bags

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can get some relief with some filler along the infra-orbital rim. Tis requires precise expertise and is frequently less than perfect. I think you are better served by a plastic surgeon consultation. Your best result, and permanent, is with a lower lid blepharoplasty.                                                                                                                                                                                      

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

What to expect at consultation for lower eyelids?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your picture does show some puffiness under your eyes with hollowness beneath the puffy areas.  There are a couple of options to help with this issue.  One option is to use a filler in the hollow areas to help camouflage the puffiness.  This would be a temporary solution but fairly easy to do.  A dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon could perform this procedure.  Your other option would be to have surgery to remove some of the excess fat.  This would give you a longer lasting result and this procedure could be done by facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon.  I would check to make sure your doctor is board certified.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Your doctor should be able to perform a recommended operation in the hospital as well as his office.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If an operation is recommended you should ask the surgeon if he can perform this in a hospital. This ensures that he has proper credentials and has passed peer review.

Lower eyelid rejuvenation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have some hollowness of the lower eyelids.  Depending upon your age you may consider either a soft tissue filler such as Juvederm.  If you are looking for a more permanent treatment consider a lower eyelid blepharoplasty.  Your next step is to see an experienced plastic surgeon for a consultation to review your options.  

Jeffrey Zwiren, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Upper and Lower eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Eyelid surgery can involve just the uppers or lowers, or both.  The primary goal of lower eyelid surgery is to remove the fatty deposits known as bags.  The goal of the uppers is to remove excess skin. Best to go to a surgeon who has a large eyelid surgey practice for best results.  For examples, please see our photo gallery and "A Complete Guide to Blepharoplasty" link below

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Under Eye Bags Removal

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Dear HM

First off, congratulations on losing 80 pounds. What an awesome accomplishment, you should feel very proud of yourself. 

In terms of a consultation, start by doing your research on the surgeon of your choice. Find someone who is board certified in surgery of the face (Facial Plastics, General or Oculo Plastics). Find someone with reputable reviews and before after photos. I agree with the others here who have questioned your choice of a dermatologist. Probably not the best physician for restoring volume to your face. 

I understand your desire to avoid seeing too many doctors, no one would want that. However, visit at least 2 or 3 so you can get a good feel for whom you are comfortable with. Cosmetic procedures are an emotional journey, and a good relationship with your surgeon is of paramount importance. 

Think about your goals prior to consultation and then discuss them in depth with a surgeon. Think of as many questions as you might have and then write them down so you don't forget them.

If you find a physician who has listened to all of your goals and concerns and can articulate a personal plan for you, you wont go wrong. 

Best luck and congrats again

Dr S


Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Not sure the dermatologist is the right specialist for this.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The dermatologist may offer you under eye fillers.  I personally do not feel that this is an area of particular expertise for dermatologists because they lack a work surgical knowledge of the anatomy of this area.  However, others might disagree with me.  Looking at your photograph I think you might also benefit from lower eyelid surgery.  For this reason, consultation with an eyelid surgeon who offers both surgical and none surgical approaches makes more sense.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

What Can I Expect at Consultation? (photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm not sure why your are considering a dermatologist for the lower eyelids. You may be better off discussing this with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon so that you get all the options.

Ask about what options are right for you (fillers, fat grafts, laser, surgery) and what to expect in terms of results and recovery. 

If you are seeing a good and experienced surgeon, you will be educated on almost all you need know before you have to ask any questions. If you are asking all the questions, consider a second opinion. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Need a good cosmetic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Great question!  The most important thing to looks for in a good cosmetic physician is experience and training in regards to the procedure you are most interested.  Sounds like the cheeks and lower eye area are most concerning to you with the affects of weight loss.  You likely need volume in your cheeks, and fat transfer is my first choice for most people.  Other options include synthetic fillers like Radiesse, Restylane or Juvederm.  And you may consider a lower blepharoplasty also.  You may need a facial plastic/cosmetic surgeon to address those concerns.

Carey Nease, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.