What can I expect with a breast lift only? For example will I look any different in my bathing suit?

Hello! Let me start by describing myself a little... I am 5'7 and 120 lbs. I am a small c to large b in breast size. I have seen two plastic surgeons and both have recommended a lift with implants under the muscle. It sounds way too invasive to me. I would love to have implants placed in the subglandular position, but both plastic surgeons say that I am too thin. I really do not want to go under the muscle and thinking about just going with a breast lift now.

STOP! Deciding on breast surgery: implants, a lift, both or nothing?

First, my complements to you for asking the RIGHT questions. You have had two consultations and it sounds like you want to have fuller breasts? You express concern with implants placed under the muscle as being too invasive and you mention that you may want to consider a breast lift. STOP! Don't do anything until all these issues are understood and you have a clear plan for what is BEST for you. Everyone's body is different, breasts are different - even side to side and desires, fear, frustrations are individual and then there are limitations about recovery, scars and cost. Having breast surgery electively is about you feeling you have prettier breasts. The breasts may be bigger, may give you better shape in a bathing suit, but must look natural. Implants are foreign devices and your body will respond to breast implants in different ways. They are also for the longterm and so decisions you make today may effect you many years from now. Most experienced and board-certified plastic surgeons can enlarge your breasts technically. The secret is the aesthetic judgement and that is not taught. The only way to really get it right is to have a personal consultation where you can openly discuss your frustrations, your limitations and your desires; understand the different options available to you and together create a plan that will give you even more beautiful breasts. I have attached a blog about "The secret to breast augmentation" which I hope will be helpful for you.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Hello, and thank you for bringing your questions to us. Without consulting with you in person, I would suggest heeding the advice of both plastic surgeons you visited. They have a better idea of your body, and the best results for it. If you have different requests, questions, or hesitations, I would be sure to let them know. As always, the goal is to make sure you are happy with your body.

An implant placed under the muscle to improve superior pole fullness is reasonable in most situations. The implant does not have to be large, but going under the muscle will reduce the rippling long term and will give the implant more camouflage for a better contour. The subglandular approach will have the opposite effect if the tissues are thin.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts and breast augmentations each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Yes, Breast Lift Will Improve Your Bathing Suit Look

The surgeons you consulted have the advantage of learning more about you, your goals, and your anatomy, so I respect their advice to you.  However, during an examination I try to demonstrate to each patient the approximate amount of improvement they should expect.  We want you the be satisfied.

Initial breast lift (mastopexy) can be an excellent choice.  It allows you to see how your lifted breasts will look on your figure. If you later decide implants are for you, it permits you to select implant size in the most accurate way.  And importantly, you will have less chance of healing problems from combined procedures.  I frequently recommend this staged approach.

I hope you get to discuss with your surgeon more about the sub-muscular placement of the implants. This is considered standard treatment in patients with thin breast tissue and body fat layers. It is not too invasive, and an excellent technique for the majority of women. Please, ask for more information.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift(TM) to maximize your appearance

There is a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast LiftTM. Using a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage. Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection. If you are satisfied with your size then you do not need implants. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. The scars are hidden at the areola-skin junction to maximize your appearance.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

To best help you, a physical evaluation or pictures sent via email will help determine which procedures and techniques will b e best for your case.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and augmentation

Based on your description and what you wish to achieve, a breast lift with smaller implants placed under the muscle is likely a good option. The breast lift alone does not add volume to your breasts and only provides a better shape. At times, you can have a staged procedure separately and undergo the breast lift procedure first and you may be happy with the results obtained. Subsequently, you may undergo breast augmentation at a later stage. Most important is choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon with expertise in these procedures and has before-and-after procedures with similar outcomes.

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Expectations for results after a Breast Lift will Depend on who does it

Hi there-

Much more than with other procedures, the results of your breast lift will depend on who does it. Choose wisely, and for the right reasons, and provided that you have goals appropriate for your anatomy, you should be able to be safe and happy with the outcome.

Breast Lift or Lift + Implants?

A breast lift will only lift the tissue but adding implants will add volume and fullness. IT sounds like you need both and the plastic surgeons that you have seen agree with you. When using an experienced board certified plastic surgeon, this should not be that "invasive".

Breast lift with or without implants

a breast lift without implants will actually make your breasts smaller, despite the improved shape. I agree with your plastic surgeons regarding the sub muscular placement of implants in a thin patient. You are doing the right thing by seeking several opinions. Good luck!

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon