Should I Use an Expander for my Case? Crossbite and Diastema. (photo)

i know i'd be needing braces, upper and lower perhaps? is there & how much braces placed inside/back of the teeth, can it apply on my case? how long is expander placed before the braces on my case? pictures attached with questions. thank you Docs!

Doctor Answers 2

Expansion with SPE needed to correct crossbite.

First of all, I agree with everything Dr. Lockhart has stated so I won't repeat what he said.  You much understand that all cross bites of this type are due to an underdeveloped upper jaw.  I recommend widening it with SPE, that is slow palatal expansion, with a removable appliance that presses against the roof of the mouth effecting the actual bone structure, not placing direct forces on the teeth.  This is activated every several days, hence the SPE.  This is the most effective over the long term.  Once widening of the upper jaw has occurred, then teeth straightening with braces or Invisalign can occur.  Good luck to you.

Denver Orthodontist

Do I Need Expanders?

With the very limited amount of information gained by your two pictures I will only give you a few things to think about. You will definitely need expansion. How long and how much can only be determined with added information. You will also need to have a frenectomy if you want your two upper front teeth to come together and stay together. You should also have your airway and breathing patterns evaluated as there has to be good reasons for your underdeveloped upper jaw. 

Good luck!

Brad Lockhart, DDS
Tustin Dentist
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.