Exercise After Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift?

It has been 30 days since I had Tummy Tuck and Breast Lift. What types of exercise are safe for me to do?

Return to work after Tummy tuck and Mastopexy

These procedures are performed differently by different surgeons and therefore the activity limitations and restrictions may vary accordingly.

Only your surgeon really knows what was done during the procedure and the implications for return to normal activities.

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

Healing after a #breast #lift and  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.

As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Post-op from tummy tuck

POst-op care for most surgeries that we do include limiting aerobic exercise for about 3 weeks and heavy lifting and sit-ups for about 6 weeks.

Don't Go Too Crazy

After 4 weeks you can do most thing but nothing that will put significant strain on the abdominal muscles. This includes heavy lifting, abdominal work-outs with sit-ups etc. I allow my patients to do their cardio and arm weights as long as they do the weights sitting to remove abdominal strain. At 6 weeks you're good to go with anything.

Walking, coughing, deep breathing

Exercise post op is inportant, but coordinating with your surgeon is paramount.  You are starting to feel good, but you are not healed.  Any vigorous or heavy activity could cause you to tear things up inside.  Check with your doctor, and don't hurt yourself or your nice new figure.

Need to know details of surgery...

Hi there- I would agree with my colleague below- only your surgeon is going to understand exactly what was done to you and when they would be comfortable allowing you to increase your activity.

I would call your surgeon's office and speak to your surgeon or ask at your next scheduled visit. 

Questions for your surgeon

These are obviously questions for your own surgeon to answer. He knows you and your surgery and is responsible for your after-care. There are various types of lifts and tummy tucks, and specifics can get lost in translation. You might have had a hernia that was repaired in a way that is different than just repairing a diastasis but not included in the shorthand term tummy tuck.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Gentle exercise progression after tummy tuck and breast lift

I recommend a gentle progression to light exercise. First walking, some light weight upper body and arms, etc. By 2-3 months you could engage the abdominal muscles in your muscle training.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS