Exercise After Labia Minora Reduction?

I had my labia minora (both sides) trimmed two weeks ago. Some doctors say 2 weeks before strenuous exercise, others say 2 months. I do kickboxing, wrestling and physically demanding martial arts. How soon can I resume this activity without risking damage (by which I mean pain and increased risk of tenderness...I DON'T care about how it looks, only whether or not it might hurt or result in sensitive scar tissue). My followup is on Monday but looking for additional opinions as well. Thanks!

Labiaplasty Recovery

Every woman is different-as is every surgery and recovery.  Generally
speaking, I like my patients to really “take it easy” for the first
couple of days after surgery-rest, eat healthy, drink plenty of water
and give their bodies a chance to heal naturally.  You can plan on
getting back to work in 2-3 day.   Ice packs for the first 24 hours (and
I know it’s not terribly comfortable) can help tremendously with
swelling and pain.

My first follow-up exam is at 2 weeks and I ask my patients to refrain from any vigorous exercise until this exam.  Once I check a patient’s recovery personally, I usually release them to low-impact exercises that are “comfortable”, such as walking or the elliptical.   Nothing hi-impact, getting on a saddle, jarring,  hyper extending or sex at this point and generally not for at least 4-6 weeks.  You really want give yourself time to heal properly and my best advise it to to listen to your body. 

I always get questions regarding “getting in water.”  I allow my patients to shower immediately after surgery with a hypoallergenic soap.  And even suggest my patients take sitz baths a few days after surgery.  Water is not only very soothing, but is cleansing and healing.  I prefer to see a patient in-person again before swimming.

Typically, it’s business as usual in 6 weeks, but again, it’s a very individual process.  Always consult with your surgeon if you have any questions. 

Dr Lori Warren

Louisville Urogynecologist

6-8 weeks

It would be best to wait about six to eight weeks before you start doing those activities again. You should also ask your surgeon for their advice.

Labiaplasty recovery before exercising

I would wait about 2 to 3 weeks at which point an interval labiaplasty examination will help expedite your recovery exercise regimen. Raffy Karamanoukian, MD Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Exercise After Labia Minora Reduction?

6 weeks before exercise following labiaplasty would be my recommendation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Exercise After Labia Minora Reduction?

I generally advise three weeks before exercise of any kind and, at that, I suggest that you start slowly and advance as tolerated.  For strenuous exercise including martial arts I would advise waiting at least six weeks and, even then, only after a check-up.  You should, of course, clear all of this with your own surgeon.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Longer Wait for Full Contact Sports Prudent

Thank you  for your question. At 6 weeks your incisions have reached 85% of their full strength.  You are by no means fully healed. At this point you can return to full activities but you may still be sensitive. Full contact sports such as martial arts would require more time off or protection. Good luck

Return to Exercise after Labia Minora Reduction depends on type and healing status

Post-Operative Healing - below are the usual instructions we give to our patients. In your particular case I would wait a minimum of 6 weeks  prior to martial arts with your Surgeons permission. Before that time you may split apart your incision.

Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week.

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks

Recovering from Labiaplasty and exercise

Healing process varies from patient to patient. On average 2 to 3 weeks is adequate to resume normal physical activities; however contact sports like kickboxing and wrestling should be left for 4 weeks after surgery. Let common sense guide you.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Exercise post labiaplasty

Every patient heals at their own pace, but generally speaking light exercise can be resumed within 2-3 weeks after surgery.  It's best to wait longer for strenuous exercise such as kick boxing and wrestling as the delicate tissues may swell/ache and scars may separate /bleed.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Healing after a labiaplasty

healing after a labiaplasty

• most incisions heal strongly with 3 weeks
  • most actiity would be fine when the swelling is gone and your comfortable
  • after 6 weeks any activity is fine
  • 2-3 wks should be fine for most activites