Am I a good candidate for lipo & laser lipo in the abdominal area for a breast transfer? (Photos)

Im 5'5" 170lbs. I am interested in getting lipo in the abdominal area(s) for a fat transfer to the breast. I am currently a small C and would like to go up a half or full size up. My nipples are very big and lower. 1) Can fat be added under the boob to give them a little lift without doing a full on breast lift procedure or will they more or less be the same shape but fuller?

Good Candidate For Liposuction and Breast Fat Transfer?

You appear to be a good candidate for breast fat transfer. Typically as much as a cup size increase is achievable as well as some shaping of the breast. Laser liposuction is NOT the technique that should be used for fat harvesting for fat transfer. The laser destroys the fat cells and there would be no benefit to transferring dead fat cells to your breasts. In fact it would be more likely to cause problems such as fat necrosis or oil cysts. Careful fat harvesting with a fine cannula, gentle processing of the fat, and precise layering of the fat graft into your breast will achieve optimal fat survival. 

Laser lipo for fat transfer?

First of all, laser lipo would be a terrible way to harvest fat for fat transfer.  Laser destroys the fat cells.  When harvesting fat for fat transfer, I turn the vacuum on my liposuction machine way down and do not use any additional energy, not even the relatively gentle motion of my power assist lipo gizmo.  It's slow going but that fat must be treated with utmost respect for it to survive in its new location. Second, you look like a great candidate for fat transfer but based on your photos, you are going to benefit more if the fat is harvested from your thighs and hips.  Your tummy looks pretty nice as is and I don't think there is as much fat there.  My concern is that aggressively harvesting from that area may leave you with some contour irregularities which would be a crime given how great your tummy looks in your bikini.  One more thing, it's super important to have fat transfer done at a healthy and sustainable weight.  Weight fluctuations after surgery make the results unpredictable. P.S.  Love your swimsuit and your attitude!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

Am I a good candidate for lipo & laser lipo in the abdominal area for a breast transfer?

From just looking at your photos, you look like you are a good candidate for fat transfer to the breasts. It is always best to do an in  person consultation with a board certified PS since the skin quality can make a difference in your results. You will be able to go up ~1/2 to a full cup size, so it sounds like you are realistic. The shape can be changed some with fat transfer. I would not recommend laser liposuction as the heat damages the fat cells.

Fat grafting to your breasts

could certainly be done if you're accepting of a larger version of what you have.  You cannot use laser liposuction as that fat would not be considered viable for grafting. If you're accepting of the risks of fat grafting breasts and are willing to be patient to allow your grafts to take and build up the volume, this is certainly an option for you to consider.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ideal patient for breast augmentation using belly fat

The perfect patient for breast fat transfer:
  • Has nice shape to the breast.  A little droopiness is okay.  
  • They would have realistic goals of going up 1-2 cup sizes.
  • They have a donor site for the fat that could tolerate the liposuction and look nice after.
  • Is understanding of the fact that only 50-70% of fat survives on average and is understanding that a second surgery may be required if they want more volume.
  • Makes sure to find a surgeon that does a lot of fat transfer. Not all do and the results and fat survival show that.  Make sure to shop around until you find someone that has the patience to inject fat drop by drop to get the best results from your plastic surgery.
  • Dr Rodger Shortt is a plastic surgeon in Oakville.  He is the Director of the Cosmetic Surgery Training Program and an Assistant Clinical Professor at McMaster University.  He strives to provide the best possible plastic surgery results and excellent care to patients from the GTA including Oakville, Toronto, Mississauga, Georgetown, Milton, Burlington and Hamilton.

Rodger Shortt, FRCSC

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your height and weight, your BMI is 28. You are an excellent candidate for VASER Hi Def Liposuction and fat transfer to the breasts. NOT LASER LIPO! The laser melts or kills the fat and is not the right instrument used in fat collection, if fat transfer is the objective. You can go up about one cup size with one procedure, and if you wish to go up to a larger volume you would need a second or sometimes even a third procedure. A cup size is about 200cc and you would need at least 300-350cc/breast to achieve that. I'm not sure, based on the photos only and without the benefit of an examination, that you have enough fat on the abdomen to give you a cup size increase. Might take some fat from the thighs as well and save the back fat for another session if you need it. The fat graft augmentation will raise your nipple/areola complex only minimally. Alternatively, you can have the one cup size increase and have VASER Hi Def Liposuction all around your midsection to give you a sculpted, more feminine figure. I trained and operated on more than one occassion with Dr. Alfredo Hoyos of Bogota, Colombia, the inventor of the VASER Hi Def Lipo. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Liposuction w/Fat Transfer?

Thank you for your questions and photos. Going up 1/2-1 cup size is usually attainable with fat grafting, but ultimately depends on the amount of fat that survives the transfer. Fat grafting can add volume, but will likely not significantly elevate your nipple-areolar position. Your local plastic surgeon can give you a more accurate assessment,  with regard to your expected outcome, in a complete examination.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks. I have done many body contouring procedures and specialize in Vaser Hi Definition liposculpture. Vaser Hi Definition body sculpting requires extensive specialized training. I am one of few surgeons in the United States that was personally trained by Dr. Alfredo Hoyos, the surgeon that developed this technique. Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique. Regarding breast fat transfer, it is safe procedure. As a chief of plastic surgery for a hospital and a director of a breast center, we followed hundreds of my own patients that underwent fat grafting. We found that it is easy to differentiate between fat, calcifications and even scarring.  The injections take place in the breast tissue and in the muscle.  Under the muscle is a little worrisome due to possible complications.  About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely.  The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon