3 months post gynecomastia surgery. Is this normal? (Photo)

I had lipo/ excision surgery 3 months ago and hello, I was wondering why my chest looks like this my nipples are very puffy and my chest sticks out alot, after 3 days of surgery chest looked great and was flat. Is this normal at three months post? How long will it take for my chest to be flat?

Give it time

You will experience post surgical changes for 6-8 months after your procedure. Continue wearing your compression vest for an additional 3-6 months and begin lymphatic massage. 

DrBurnett#realself100

Westfield Plastic Surgeon

It looks like you are doing OK. Do you have your before pictures? 

Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in #gynecomastia surgery, has great photos, and is an expert in male breast reduction.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

3 Months Post Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation process after #gynecomastia surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.  In the future, any #indentations may be addressed with fat #grafting or #cosmetic #fillers if you are  deemed a good fit.If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gyno results

It's hard to tell for sure from your photos. Without seeing your pre-op photos, it looks like you have a good result. It looks like you still have some generalized fullness but this might improve with weight loss. You should check in with your surgeon.

Ronald Schuster, MD

You need to allow at least 6 months for all swelling and healing to take place

it is too early for you to make a final assessment on the results of your gynecomastia surgery. if it is looked great at 3 days, it will probably get close to that with more healing time. try and be patient and not to expect perfection and you will likely be very pleased.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon