Which would you recommend; Coolsculpting or Smart Lipo for my body type? (photos)

I have already had them priced out by my Plastic Surgeon. He said its up to me which one I want, but he seemed to lean towards Smart Lipo. I would be doing upper and lower abdomen, inner and outter thigh (cool sculpting I cant get outter thigh), and flanks. Do you find that they have similar results? Does smart lipo have better results for someone like me with higher concentrated areas of fat? Thank you so much for any help!

CoolSculpting causes permanent fat loss

Body reshaping is designed to fit your expectations and schedule.  You can choose the method based on your desire for change.  I have several patients choose CoolSculpting because they have no ability to take time off from their life to recover.  If the time to recover is not an issue and you want changes only achieved through liposuction then that is the way to proceed.

Coolsculpting versus smartlipo

you would be better off with a sculpting procedure like smart lipo or hi definition vaser if you are looking for body contouring and shaping.  I suggest seeing a body sculpting expert with experience to give you the best opinions.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Which would you recommend

We do a lot of coolsculpting but we use liposuction as the gold standard. You will always get as good or better result with standard liposuction. Coolsculpting is for patients who do not want surgery. They have very small areas of body fat that can be treated in one session of coolsculpting. For patients who have multiple areas of fat that will need multiple coolsculpting treatments, Liposuction is the better choice for both cost and results. Diet and exercise are always the best and safest treatment for too much fat but these are reasonable guidlines when you want more. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo Vs CoolSculpt

Thank you for your question and photos.  Both treatements are appropriate.  The decision is not related to your body type but to your expectations regarding cost, outcome, recovery and time to final outcome.  Coolsculpt is non surgical, allows you to go back to most activities immediately, is costly because of the technology used, and you have to wait 1-3 months to get a 22.5% reduction in fat per cycle.  If you want more reduction, you will need a second treatment at a later stage.  Smartlipo is a surgical procedure, you typically need 7-10 days off for recovery and 2-6 weeks before returning to exercise, you see results immediately, and the fat is reduced by 55-75% at once.  Repeat treatments to get a good result are much less likely with SmartLipo.  Hope this comparison helps. Best wishes.

Coolsculpting and liposuction

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolscupting versus Lipsuction

The decision to have coolsculpting versus liposuction is based both on the patient's ability to have down time and recovery and also the amount of change and the area of the body you want shaped.  There are many areas that you cannot do with coolsculpting.  However, if you want a bulge reduced in a given area by 25% with only one hour and no down time then coolsculpting is really the best option for you.

Coolsculpting versus Liposuction

We were the first Plastic Surgery practice in the Greater Houston area to bring on Coolsculpting. Since then we have really pushed the limit of what Coolsculpting can do versus liposuction/tummy tuck or other surgical body contouring procedures. There are definitely trade-offs between the different treatment modalities. I would recommend that you visit with a practice that does a fair amount of Coolsculpting in addition to other body contouring procedures to help evaluate the best options for you.
If you can manage the recovery process, I would agree with your plastic surgeon that surgery would provide you with a stronger result.

CoolSculpting, Smart Lipo, traditional Liposuction or other alternatives for body contouring

Dear singhashley:

Smart Lipo is a limited technique which uses a laser at the end of a 1 mm fiber optic cable to heat and destroy fat cells. In most cases, a liposuction cannula will be required to further remove the fat cells in a "spot" or contoured technique. The procedure is invasive and very physician dependent on his or her skills and talents. Currently, there is little if any commercial marketing on this device or technique. 

CoolSculpting is a non-invasive, but also limited technique. It is "tried and true" and can work very well when properly performed. Used serially, you can achieve a "Treatment to Transformation" liposuction-like result. 

It is a bit unfair to compare a surgical and non-surgical technique; particularly when it is dependent on a proper exam and recommendations.

Thanks for sharing your photos. Based on the very limited information provided, your best investment maybe traditional liposuction. 

Please consult with a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to offer what is best for YOU!

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS