Unsatisfied with earlobes after otoplasty. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hello, I've done otoplasty about 7 months ago i have an improvement but my earlobes is still the same like before surgery.Is it possible to make surgery just to improve the earlobes,is there have a chance the surgery of earlobes to spoil the result? Thanks in advance

Otoplasty

Hi thank you for your question. Yes its is possible to adjust your earlobes even if your surgery was a few months ago. You should go with your plastic surgeon so he can examine you and take off a little more skin  and fat in the back of the earlobes.
Best regards
Dr Marco  Carmona MD

Otoplasty

Yes, it is possible to adjust the earlobes. I usually have people wait a full year before revising any scars. I couldn't tell you exactly the cause of what you see, as I don't have the benefit of a physical examination. Talk with your surgeon.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Earlobe Position After Otoplasty

Your earlobe can be re-positioned without ruining the rest of your otoplasty, however it would have been easier to do at your original surgery.  The earlobes often protrude for one of two reasons.  The most typical reason is that the tail of the helix (this is the outer rim of cartilage of the ear) is not folded back.  The tail of the helix is the part that ends just a bit after it gets into the top of the earlobe and controls how far out the earlobe protrudes.  

Removing skin and fat from the backside of the earlobe is also a way to move the earlobe in.  However, it tends to have limited effectiveness when the cartilage "backbone" of the earlobe is pushing it out.

Best Regards,
Dr. A

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Earlobes can be corrected and brought in without affecting your previous surgery

Thank you for your question! It’s been 7 months since your otoplasty procedure, and you are satisfied with your results, but are concerned the earlobes remain unchanged since prior to surgery. You want to know if it is possible to correct the earlobes without affecting the outcome of your first operation. I can certainly give you some guidance with this procedure and how I would handle it in my practice. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon. I have been in practice in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. Otoplasty is something we do in our practice as well as other ear-related surgeries such as split earlobe repair and repair of enlarged holes in the earlobes. Earlobe prominence comes to mind when I evaluate a patient who is considering otoplasty. The process of otoplasty is basically dividing the ear into 3 segments: an upper, middle and lower. The upper segment is about restoring an antihelical fold to create a shape. The middle segment is called the conchal bowl, where I typically remove cartilage and place it closer to the skull base and position it in the middle part of the ear. Sometimes, the earlobe can look good during surgery, but after healing resolves it can look like it’s sticking out a little. If that’s the case, it is possible to do a correction where the earlobe is shifted inwards and ultimately, give you a more desired result. Often, the challenge is to see what is aesthetically important to you. If you look around, a lot of people have the same shape of the earlobe where it sticks out a little, but they’re not bothered by it. I find people who have prominent ears are very analytical about their concerns.  For an enhancement procedure, I think you’re dealing with something relatively straightforward. It basically involves removal of some skin, maybe a little fatty tissue, and suturing , which can be done under local anesthesia. I recommend you speak to your doctor who performed your surgery and ask about this option. The doctor will actually perform a physical examination and see how much the earlobe would go in, and discuss with you the possibilities of the outcome. Also, understand it is difficult to make someone 100% symmetric. However,  going back to your concern about it affecting the overall surgery, I think it’s unlikely to be problematic. I hope that was helpful, I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your question.
This personalized video answer to your question is posted on RealSelf and on YouTube. To provide you with a personal and expert response, we use the image(s) you submitted on RealSelf in the video, but with respect to your privacy, we only show the body feature in question so you are not personally identifiable. If you prefer not to have your video question visible on YouTube, please contact us.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon