Smart liposuction my upper arms to my buttocks? (Photo)

Is it possible to smart liposuction the fat from my upper arms and transfer that to enhance the look of my buttocks? I have alot of fat cells in my upper arms and would like to utilize it to serve my buttocks without major scars

You cannot transfer the fat after Smartlipo

Smartlipo is great because it uses the laser energy to melt and destroy fat and fat cells. you cannot transfer dead fat cells. 

also you have too much lose skin on your arms to be a good candidate for Smartlipo. you should consider an arm lift. See a board certified PS to discuss this option.

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

Thank you for posting your question. From your picture, I think your arms have excess skin that cannot be removed with smart lipo alone. With the fat removed, your arms will be left with loose skin, making overall volume reduction for your arms unlikely. Brachioplasty, or arm tuck, can remove the excess skin. Scars can be placed either in the back of the arms or in the inner portion of the arms. I recommend meeting an experienced, board certified surgeon for in-person consultation to insure all your concerns and desires are addressed. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You have a large amount of excess skin on your arms that might not improve with just lipo

You look like an excellent candidate for an arm tuck (brachioplasty) provided you don't mind the scars. There is a real risk of wrinkled unattractive results when lipo of the arms is done in the presence of too much loose skin. Laser will not shrink enough skin to prevent this.

Techniques To Optimize Cell Survival In Fat Transfer

If you wish to harvest fat from your upper arms and transfer it to your buttocks, you would not want your surgeon to employ SmartLipo to do this.  The reason is that SmartLipo uses a laser to melt and liquify the fat, so that it can be removed more easily, and with greater precision.  

By doing this, however, the laser energy kills the fat cells, so that if you then transfer the liquified fat to your buttocks, it will just be absorbed by your body, or perhaps cause an infection in your buttock, because it is nonviable tissue that would have been transferred. If your goal is to transfer fat from your arms to your buttock, you will need to have conventional tumescent liposuction used as the technique to harvest the fat, so that living cells are actually transferred.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS