Removal of osteocartilage chin implant possible?

I had a rhinoplasty and some nasal cartilage was used to augment my chin. I returned to my surgeon and asked if it could be removed but I did not get a straight answer. I would like to know if the pieces of cartilage inserted into the chin pocket can be removed or if after years they have welded to the bone and tissue. Also, if the pieces of cartilage can be removed, could a silicone implant be placed there instead during the same procedure or would I have to wait for the area to recover first?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  Non smiling photos of your chin from the front and side would help in the evaluation.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  Ear cartilage would be a poor choice for chin augmentation and if the dissection would not be "too" disruptive (if it were placed within the mentalis muscle for instance its removal could damage the muscle), the cartilage could be removed.  Cartilage would not adhere or otherwise become integrated into the bone.

Hope this helps.