Explantation of implant and capsule - When can a lift and possible implant of smaller size be performed?

Today my ruptured implant was removed including capsule. When can I undergo a breast lift surgery again. And maybe place some smaller implants or fat crafting. I would prefer the second to avoid implant problems in the future. But I do have little breast tissue, could I still achieve a satisfying result especially on the top side of my breasts? Before augmentation I had a small B cup, with full be I would be more than happy

Breast lift timing following implant removal

Hi, most surgeons would wait at least 3-6 months prior to performing a breast lift following explantation.  I would suggest discussing with your surgeon whether or not you are a candidate for fat grafting.  While fat grafting does have the benefit of using your own tissue and avoiding any potential complications related to an implant, it does not provide a predictable volume since some of that fat will be lost.  Many patients require a second fat grafting procedure a year later to add additional volume. These are factors to consider and discuss with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

When can I do a lift and fat grafting after implant removal

Hi and thank you for the question. Often times we perform all of these procedures on the same day. Your surgeon must have had some specific concerns in order to make the decision to stage it. When I do the procedures in two steps I often wait 3-6 months so the breasts are well healed. Fat grafting may be an option for you if you have sufficient fat somewhere on your body to use. This is something your surgeon can assess during a consultation. Good luck to you. 

Dr West

Justin West, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Explantation of implant and capsule; timing for additional surgery?

Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to timing for additional surgery. Generally, wise to wait about six months before planning additional surgery.  Best wishes.

Based on the information you shared, you do not need or want implants. Since you are happy with the size, consider a lift, if needed.  Allow time for the breast to heal and take shape so your surgeon will know exactly what he is working with.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD