My doctor wants to take my stitches after 3 days. Is that ok?

I had labiaplasty. Doctor wants to take the stitches just after 3 days, is that normal?

Labiaplasty and stitches

Hello,It's best to follow your surgeon's recommendations as we each may use different methods to repair the labia.         I typically use dissolvable stitches that do not require removal. Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                    Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Few rigid standards in surgery

Many surgeons do this surgery. We all do them a little differently. If you trusted your surgeon to do your surgery, you might want to follow his or her advice in the after care. Hopefully you checked out your doctor before having surgery. 

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty Removal of Sutures

It would be best to follow the instruction of your surgeon in relation to your stitches and post-op care of your surgical area. When it comes to the stitches used on our patients, the sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful for swelling as well. So, be sure to follow your surgeon's instructions for the appointment to have the stitches removed as well as post-op care of your incisions and scars. Best of luck to you!

Stitches out 3 days after labiaplasty?

While 3 days sounds very early, your doctor may have a specific way of closing the labia. If your surgeon is experienced and is well recommended, likely he/she has done this approach before successfully. You can ask about the suture technique, why the sutures come out so early, and the downside of waiting.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Remove sutures after 3 days?

Most experienced LP surgeons utilize fine delayed absorbance sutures. If your surgeon is experienced, I would go with his/her recommendations. Make sure (s)he has placed 1-2 layers of deep dissolveable sutures deep to hold the incision together. 
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Removal of sutures folllowing labiaplasty

If your doctor is recommending this then I would certainly proceed and ask him/her why they're being removed so soon. Without a photo or more information it's difficult to advise you specifically, but there may be temporary sutures that were placed to "hold" tissues in place so as to relieve tension. I'm sure there's a good reason.  It all depends on the type of sutures used and the method of Labiaplasty.In my practice, I have patients return for removal of all of the Labiaplasty sutures between day 4-7 postop. I have learned that by 7 days the sutures have done their work and tissues are sufficiently approximated. If they stay in beyond 1 week they simply cause more irritation, swelling and discomfort. There's also a risk that they'll leave "track marks" and scars. Patients who travel from other states or countries can therefore be on their way home within a week and the remainder of their recovery is comfortable, painfree and results are natural.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Ask your doctor if that is his or her routine

Some surgeons use permanent sutures at the level of the skin and remove them soon after surgery to prevent marking the skin with lines. However, there are usually deeper stitches that are dissolvable and are not removed which provide strength the scar. Since I do not know the details of your surgery, the best answer would be that of your surgeon.

Thank you for sharing your question.  Without a bit more information it is difficult to offer a definite recommendation as in most cases absorbable stitches are used during labiaplasty procedures.  Three days is a short amount of time to need to remove any stitch, so I would voice your concern to your surgeon so that they can explain their decision further.  Best wishes.