Can a damaged silicone implant cause swelling and discomfort? (Photo)

A CT showed that my right implant is completely ruptured and looks much bigger now than the left. My breast is swollen and hard. Can damaged implants cause these symptoms. Exchange is scheduled for one month from now

Can a damaged silicone implant cause swelling and discomfort?

Thank you for your question.  I am very sorry to hear that you have a ruptured implant.  I am happy that surgery is scheduled to remove the ruptured implant in 1 month.  Ruptured implants can certainly cause the symptoms that you have.  It will be important to determine if you have a seroma as well and your surgeon must check the capsule around the implant to make certain he do not have ALCL a tumor which can happen on an implant capsule.

A ruptured implant can cause swelling and a hardened breast.  The rupture likely explains what is happening.