Will I benefit from chin implant? (Photo)

I'm 18 and unhappy with how my fave looks like. It looks weak. Will I benefit from having chin implant or what should I consider?

Chin implant candidate

Judging from the photo you provided, I believe you would be a good candidate for chin implant surgery. There are several materials used for chin implantation, but Silicone (called Silastic) is the one most commonly used. Some surgeons use a technique called sliding genioplasty which consist of cutting a part of the bone of the chin and sliding it forward and screwing it in place to project the chin forward. This technique, in my opinion, is longer and is associated with some issues such as a "step" deformity, where one can feel the edge of the bone on the side of the chin. An implant is simpler and provides a more predictably natural result and it is quite safe with complications being quite rare. There are two ways to insert it: one through the mouth by making an incision between the gum and the lip on the inside of the mouth, while the other is through a short incision under the chin. I favour the latter. The scar is small and usually very well hidden.

Best of luck. Mark Samaha, MD

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will I benefit from chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.