After septorhinoplasty, I am not able to breathe through my right nostril. Can I expect improvement over time?

I had septorhinoplasty 2,5 weeks ago.My diagnosis was rinoscoliosis, enlarged turbinates and deviation of the septum. After the surgery, I can breathe perfectly on my left nostrill however there seems to be almost no air passing on my right one. If I cover my left nostril with a finger I cannot breathe almost at all, however If I do the same with the right one there seems to be no difference to my breating since all the air goes through the left one.Will breating change for the better over time?

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.

Kind regards

It is very difficult to give you a definite answer without being able to evaluate your nasal airway. However, if your surgeon worked to correct a deviated septum, you often see a significant improvement in breathing post-surgically. However, it often takes several weeks for the intranasal swelling to improve sufficiently to allow for you to experience such improvement. Because of your reported near-total lack of nasal airway patency on the right side, I'd be somewhat suspicious that there might be nasal crusting or scar tissue formation impeding such air flow, or potentially a persistent deviation to that side. The best advice that I can give you is to return and follow-up with your surgeon, sooner if you need to (yes, you can and should do that!), in order for him/her to evaluate your nasal airway and provide you a more substantial perspective. Best of luck!

Danny Soares, MD
Clermont Facial Plastic Surgeon