Am I a suitable candidate for Botox in the masseter muscle? (photos)

I feel my face is very round and my jaw is large. I really want a more heart shaped, defined face. Would I be suitable for Botox in my jaw/masseter muscle? I have had problems in the past with grinding my teeth in my sleep. Sorry for photo just wanting to stay anon

Botox and other considerations for wide jaw, grinding and round face

Dear Anont123:

Botox is used to both reduce jaw width if your masseter muscles are thick or hypertrophied and contributing to the width of your jaw. It is also used in the masseter for grinding but not the only muscle to properly diminish grinding force. 

Thanks for sharing your photo.  Based on this one picture, your jawline falls within the width of your lateral cheek bones and therefore contribute to a "heart-shaped" and pretty face rather than detract from it. 

You may wish to consider fillers or fat grafting to the upper medial cheek, middle cheek, lateral cheek and temple to fill and lift the upper face for a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance. Unfortunately, this photo does not help us now. 

Other thoughts include Botox in the DAO (depressor anguli oris muscle along the jawline) to lift the corners of your mouth. 

I recommend you consult with a well experienced and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Facial Surgeon with the expertise to properly evaluate your face and make recommendations. 

Masseter Muscle Injection of Botox

Botox can be injected into your master muscle to slim your face.  Since this technique is advanced please consult an experienced dermatologist with this technique.

Am I a suitable candidate for Botox in the masseter muscle?

Thank you for your question and photograph. It does appear that you have masseter muscles that can be treated with Botox to help slim your jaw, creating more of the desired heart-shaped face. Be sure to see an experienced Botox injector as this treatment is a more advanced technique for Botox use.  

Suitable Candidate for Masseter injections?

Thank you for your question. Yes, you could benefit from a masseter injection. Speak with a experienced injector about this treatment.

Hope this helps,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox in masseters can help slim face

Yes, you have a widened face from enlarged masseters. It is a quick and easy procedure. See my link for more details.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for Masseter

I think you would benefit from this procedure to give you the facial shape you desire and also for the grinding of your teeth. This is an advanced technique and be sire you get an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon. There is a defined technique and I would start off with a moderate dose to each side as the response can be drastic if to much is used. 

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained dermatologist for appropriate care."    

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Botox and masseter

With your  complaints of grinding your teeth, you may be a candidate for Botox.  I am not sure however whether we may be able to improve the profile.  In your situation, there is no substitute for evaluation by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD