Breast Reduction to Correct Uneven Breasts?

I am a 21 year old women, with uneven breasts. I want to keep my breasts as natural as possible, and do not wish to get implants. For reference, I generally wear a 38c, the larger one is borderline a D and the smaller one is a small B. I am VERY poor college student. How much would getting something like this cost, and what would be the best way to pay for it? it's quite an annoyance in my life, as it is rather difficult to find a good bra or bathing suit fit, and noticeable under clothes.

Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your questions. Potential options would be making the larger breast smaller, making the smaller breast larger, or a combination. A detailed in-person exam is required to come up with the best plan to suit your goals and to determine the associated costs. Many practices work with financial institutions that provide loans for cosmetic surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to learn about your options.

Draper Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric breasts and limited funds

make its challenging for you to find a surgeon who can do something for you.  If you're fine with less than perfect results, you could have a simple limited reduction of your larger side with the only goal here being improved symmetry of size (not nipple level, etc).  This would limit your costs considerably.  But if you're wanting as good a result as possible, its going to require the OR and possibly procedure on both sides that increase costs.  Best to get a consultation with a surgeon or surgeons so you can get an idea of costs, different approaches and procedures, and what revision fees may be.  You could have a SKYPE consult with me that is complimentary and if you wish to do his, you will have to contact my office.

Curtis Wong, MD

I am sorry to hear about the problems your breast asymmetry cause.  Based on your description, the degree of breast asymmetry is certainly significant. When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.
***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways.

Breast asymmetry

I can not help you with cost as I work in the UK.
However, you need to think if you would accept your larger breast made smaller in which case you need a unilateral breast reduction or your smaller breast larger. If you want the smaller breast larger but do not want an implant then you need to look at fat grafting sometimes called lipo-filling. Fat grafting often needs to be repeated on 2 or 3 occasions but fi it goes well can produce very natural results.
Final thought specialist underwear might be of help? i.e. make the bra fit you no you fit the bra! certainly less expensive but probably not what you really want.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Asymmetry

Obviously we are not going to be able to give you any specific suggestions without good photos but this is a common issue for patients that we see regularly. There are many alternatives and the proper selection depends on your goals. Seek out a consultation with an experienced and board certified surgeon in you area. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD