Is weight loss mandatory before breast reduction/removal?

I have a clotting condition and am on blood thinners. I also have ehlers danlos syndrome and gigantomastia. Losing weight has always caused weight gain with addition pounds tacked on, so I've been avoiding going on any extreme weight loss diets. My caloric intake is already quite low in an effort to maintain my current weight (350 pounds) and I'm not willing to reduce it further at this point. I am a 48-50 L cup. One doc refused to see me. Another said lose weight. I want my breasts GONE. Help?

Weight loss is not mandatory

but your health history puts you at considerable risk for complications and disappointment.  If you are accepting of that, and your weight is where you can easily maintain it, and you are willing to go to the hospital for this, you can have your surgery done.

Is Weight Loss Necessary Before Breast Reduction Surgery?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your decision to undergo #breast reductions surgery. Unfortunately, your weight and current medical condition put you in a high risk category. In your case, most #surgeons are going to require that you lose #weight prior to any elective procedure. 
Weight loss does assist in a breast reduction because a #stable weight allows for a more stable result. For example, if you get a breast reduction and then lose a lot of weight, you may find that your breasts are less perky or full from the weight lost. It is best to lose the majority of weight prior to reduction if you can. In addition, optimizing your weight before general anesthesia helps minimize postoperative complications. The best place to start would be with your primary care provider and a supervised weight loss/exercise  program. This will allow you to accomplish your goal. Good luck!

Weight and surgical risk

Your weight, particularly when added to your clotting disorder and Ehlers Danlos, puts you at an elevated risk from both surgical and anesthetic complications. Since breast reduction surgery is elective it is best to reduce your risk as much as possible before considering surgery. Weight loss can be quite frustrating- you may want to consider a medically supervised program in order to get you to a weight that reduces your surgical risk to an acceptable level. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.  You may want to consider a medically supervised weight loss program. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Weight Loss Prior to Breast Reduction

At your current weight, the risks of surgery for a breast reduction would be far to high.  You might consider a medically supervised diet program.
Best of luck.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately your current weight places you at a very high risk for any elective surgery, breast reduction included.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD