Should my surgeon have taken out the residual breast tissue? I still have puffy nipples 1 month after my op.

I have really puffy nipples and I wanted this gone. Flat nipples was my goal and my surgeon appeared to understand saying he would make an incision to take gyno out. He didn't end up doing this, just lipo during surgery. He assured me this was fine and it's all I needed to look "flat". It's been one month, and although my chest/nips seems a little better, I still have the puffiness and the RBT is really hard on both sides. I thought I paid to cut out the breast tissue? Maybe a 2nd opinion?

Healing and Swelling After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Wait for results

Give it a few months before you assess your results. The puffiness could be swelling related to the surgery, and that needs time for it to go away. If in 6 months or so you still see the puffiness, return to your surgeon.

Puffy Nipples After One Month

It is still too soon to tell what your final result will be, swelling can take several weeks to completely dissipate. However, the only time that liposuction alone will give good results is when your gynecomastia is caused by  fat alone. This is referred to as "pseudo-gynecomastia." Unfortunately if you have "true gynecomastia" and not enough breast tissue has been removed, or none, a revision may be necessary in order to get a flat chest.  Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD