Is there a semi permanent facial filler that can last for more than two years?

I was wondering if there is a filler than can last longer than two years but doesn't have the risk of side effects like Aquamid? I saw a plastic surgeon who recommended restylane and Voluma. He said Voluma can last up to 8 year in some patients. Thanks for your time.

How Long Does Voluma Last?

A few of the original investigators claim that they have Voluma patients whose filler has lasted up to five years.

But remember that everybody has an individual response to fillers and for some, it lasts longer than for others.

Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

Long lasting Facial Fillers

Juvederm Voluma and Juvederm are great facial fillers.  On average, they last approximately one to two years depending on the amount of filler injected.  If you are looking for a longer lasting filler than you should consider Sculptra. Sculptra takes several treatments one month apart to achieve these results.  The most important consideration is finding a board certified dermatologist with experience with these cosmetic procedures for the best results.

Balancing "long lasting" with side effects

Great question and commonly asked by my patients as well. I too stay away from "permanent" nonsurgical fillers, as the results usually cannot be reversed, and there are many concerns in the community re: the long-term effect of chronic irritation ("inflammation") of the surrounding tissue from this "permanent" foreign substance in our tissues. Initially the "inflammation" that occurs leads to swelling, and this is what creates the look people want - fullness! However, persistent inflammation also has its detriments. Thus, in my practice, I currently stick to nonpermanent products when it comes to nonsurgical filler options. HA (hyaluronic acid) products such as Voluma and Resylane are reversible, and as mentioned in the other answers, Voluma lasts longer than Restylane. Depending on the area of concern, I may recommend Voluma and Juvederm since both products apply to the Allergan Brilliant Distinctions Rewards Program. Restylane is provided by a different company. I have found that my patients are highly satisfied with Voluma because of the immediate results (compared to some of the other products) AND longer-lasting nature of the product.

Emily Hu, MD

Long lasting filler

Thank you for asking about your Voluma.

• Your surgeon gave you good advice.
  • Patients who had Voluma maintained their improvement after a year- most needed more after 2 years.
  • Restylane lasts between 6 - 9 months, on average.
  • Fillers can last longer or dissipate earlier than 'average' depending on the person's body reaction.
  • Both are hyaluronic acid fillers - this is a natural joint gel that can be dissolved if the result is lumpy.
  • Bellafil - a recently FDA approved filler - is cow collagen + polymethylmethracrylate beads. It requires a pre-treatment allergy test. The polymethylmetracrylate is a permanent plastic - I have yet to see any permanent injectable that stands the test of time. 
  • (In my experience, all the permanent fillers cause chronic inflammatory reactions that make injected tissues cement-hard within 5 years - Bellafil may prove the exception but I don't use it yet.)
  • Also there are still doubts about disease transmission using living-animal derived injectable, hence the preference for hyaluronic acid fillers.
  • Aquafil is not FDA approved and cannot be used legally in the USA.
  • Sculptra can last for years when it works - but is expensive and many, many people see no results at all.
  • Fat injections may be permanent - but are more expensive than fillers and results are unpredictable.
  • One day we may have a safe, effective, permanent filler or one that lasts more than 2 years.
  • To date, the best of the long-lasting fillers  is Voluma.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Long Term Fillers -- Radiesse, Sculptra, BellaFill and Fat

I suggest you see a cosmetic dermatologist with expertise in permanent and long term fillers.  I find that Bellafill lasts very long with little complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Any facial fillers that last more than 2 years?

I would say Voluma can last up to 2 years.  Sculptra results can last 2-4 years, and Bellafill results can last much longer.  Fat transfer is another option, as previously mentioned.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Volume filler

Fat transfer can be the most permanent and safest choice for long term volume. Also solid silicone implants offer permanent volume. Voluma is an excellent product, but it lasts up to two years? Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon