I had a breast lift six months ago. Will the itchiness of my breasts ever go away?

I am still experiencing a lot of itchiness on the incisions, especially around the nipples. Will this ever go away? Is there anything I can do to lessen the itching? I have tried benedryl which helps a little but it never seems to completely subside

Post op recovery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Post op recovery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Itchiness at 6 Months Post-Op

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during your consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem. The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”. These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing.

While the skin and the scars may still be healing it is always good to take these questions and concerns to a late follow-up appointments with your surgeon.

Itchiness at 6 Months Post-Op

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Itchiness can occur when your incisions are in the early phases of healing. At six months it should be decreasing. If it is not I would suggest you speak to your plastic surgeon. 

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

Breast lift

Best Wishes

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician

There are some medications to take for itching.  Have you tried changing lotions, laundry soap, and body wash?  At 6 months post op, you should not have issues with sutures.  It can take several months for the nerves to readjust.   Schedule a visit with your surgeon to discuss your concerns.