I am 5'6" and 185 pounds. Am I a candidate for a full Tummy tuck? (photos)

I weigh 185 pounds and I am within 20 pounds of my weight loss goal. I have platued in my weight loss for the last 4 months. Is there anything I can do for my protruding belly?

With weight loss, tummy tucks can help

but you may have issues with what to do with your belly button as it doesn't appear it reaches the pubic area if it was pinched.  You need to be at your sustainable weight that you easily maintain with your activities and diet.  Then you have to decide if mini is good enough or if you need a full tuck.  My mini-tucks are almost like full tucks so make sure you understand the differences according to your chosen surgeon.  Then you need to decide on where to put your scar... I see way too many high scar from other patients asking about their results.  So you can definitely benefit from a tummy tuck of some sort.  And if you're holding your tummy in, you should let it out when you take your pre-op photos. 

Candidate for tummy tuck

Based on your photos and the degree of loose skin and stretch marks, you appear to be a very good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you are having difficulty losing further weight, it's ok to have the procedure at your current weight, since your weight has been stable for four months. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for a complete exam.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Tummy tuck

You appear to be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck but I generally encourage patients to be at a weight they can maintain prior to having surgery.  If you have surgery now and then lose another 20# you may have skin laxity again.  Also seek options from several board certified plastic surgeons and then chose the one you are most comfortable with ...

Congrats on your weight loss and good luck!  You will love the results.

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty

You look to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and liposuction of the abdomen, hips and waist. This would address all the layers: muscle, fat, and skin. Be sure to visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in body contouring. You should want a surgeon that uses all the latest and best techniques for abdominoplasty, including combined liposuctioning, progressive tension sutures, and no drains.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

It's always best to be at your ideal weight but you can still get a dramatic and pleasing improvement with a tummy tuck and liposuction. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Timing for tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. From your photos you look like a very good candidate for a tummy tuck. It is always best to be at a healthy weight that you are able to maintain before the procedure. If you still desire to lose more weight, you can seek the help of a nutritionist to see if some changes in your diet could help. It may be a good time for a consult with your plastic surgeon to set goals and put together a plan.
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a full Tummy tuck?

Based on your limited photo, you appear to be anatomically a candidate for a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas. It is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children. An abdominoplasty should be delayed until you are within 10 pounds of your ideal weight, have finished all of your pregnancies and have a BMI less than 30. Lesser procedures will not produce as good a cosmetic result in a patient with your anatomy.

If a member of my family underwent a tummy tuck, it would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) . If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Looks like you will be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and you should try your best to get to your goal weight as your results will be much better.  You can always speak to a nutritionist and a trainer to see how you can get past your plateau.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Am I a candidate for a full Tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and picture. You will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck (standard or extended) surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. Best to do this operation when you are at your long-term stable weight, as you are planning. Doing so will help improve the outcome of the procedure and minimize chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.