What is causing my hair to thin?

my hair is thinning and i can't not locate a cause. My doctor told me to get a blood test and i did and everything came out looking great so what could be the cause ??

If your doctor who has examined you cannot tell you what is going on, it is unlikely the Internet will shed light

If your doctor who has examined you cannot tell you what is going on, it is unlikely the Internet will shed light to your problem.  It may be best to see another doctor for a second opinion.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thinning hair

Dear deveshgai,

The causes for thinning hair can be many and a physician with a lot of expertise in diagnosing causes for female pattern hair loss and male pattern hair loss should be sought out. Male pattern hair loss is almost always as a result of genetic localized androgen excesses; while female pattern hair loss is usually slow and progressive and hereditary in nature.

The treatment for female pattern hair loss is generally screening to rule out any secondary causes of hair loss and then topical vasodilator treatment; topical nutrient serums; high-fluence, low-level light therapy to the scalp and, in some instances, this can create a significant increased in growth by synchronizing those hair bulbs that were in the sleeping phase and bringing them out into the growing phase.

More permanent solutions for male or female pattern hair loss include hair transplantation. This procedure has undergone a renaissance and at my clinic we perform more modern-day hair transplantation than anyone else in Canada. We use a combination of the ARTAS® robot and the NeoGraft® automated follicular unit extraction system, which is a nonlinear scar, scarless technique where each individual hair family is harvested one at a time under local anaesthesia and freezing. The individual hair families that share the same bulb are then implanted together in the scalp where they pick up a blood supply and that can very quickly add to density and densification.

For female pattern hair loss, where there is generally not a progressive nature to this, once the female pattern hair loss is stabilized, hair restoration can be an extremely valuable adjunct to the aesthetic appearance and psychological wellbeing of women with thinning hair, as this is a very stressful physiologic process and quite socially embarrassing.

I have been fortunate in that I trained in both plastic surgery and ear/nose/throat-head/neck oncology. I have been performing hair transplantation for over seven years with the exclusive, nonlinear scar technique, non-strip graft technique called NeoGraft® and ARTAS®. As you will be treated with both devices, I can offer the best possible automated and semiautomatic treatments to get you the best possible results.

I hope this information has been of some assistance. At this point, it is important you seek the advice of two surgical hair restoration experts with skill in the art of follicular extraction and transplantation.

Sincerely,
R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Hair to thin

The most common cause of hair loss in men is Androgenetic alopecia or Male Pattern Baldness. It is usually diagnosed on the basis of pattern of hair loss and family history. The blood tests are usually normal in such patients. Then there is telogen effluvium which is usually caused as a result of dietary deficiency or stress in which again the blood tests dont help. However, in case of women, there are a lot systemic causes for which blood tests might help. ....

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

Most people with hair loss have normal blood work!

Without evaluating your scalp up close, it's impossible to say the cause of your hair loss. Believe it or not, there are over 100 reasons to lose hair. 

For many types of hair loss, blood tests come back normal. So, it should not really be a surprise that blood work is normal. 

Hair loss conditions which often have normal blood work:

1. androgenetic alopecia
2. telogen effluvium from stress, and crash diets
3. scarring alopecia
4. trichotillomania
5. hair loss from heat and chemical damage
6. hair loss from medications

Hair loss conditions which often have abnormal blood work

1. hair loss from thyroid problems
2. hair loss from low iron
3. hair loss from hormonal problems, including PCOS
4. hair loss from low zinc and gastrointestinal problems
5. hair loss from eating disorders, including restrictive diets and anorexia nervosa

The key step to figuring out the cause of hair loss is an up close exemption. That is essential for all women and less essential for men. 

Hope this helps