Crooked nose on asymmetric face - is rhinoplasty worth it? (Photo)

I have finally come to terms that my crooked nose must be fixed. I am morally ready but it has been pointed to me by my surgeon that I have an asymmetric face and this complicates the seemingly standard procedure. My point is, is fixing my nose worth it? If one side has developed differently, what are the chances that the new nose will not return to its pre-operative position in 1-10 years time? What are the other risks does the operation present (internally and externally) in this case? Thanks

Crooked Nose

Hi Charliz.  Rhinoplasty to address a crooked nose is a reasonable request.  My recommendation is to consult with a surgeon, one who is able to show you multiple before and after photos of patients with concerns similar to yours.  This may help you in your decision making process.  If you like, please look at the link below.  You may find some of the diagrams and terminology helpful when you consult with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Crooked nose on asymmetric face - is rhinoplasty worth it?

The asymmetry on your face is very subtle and barely noticeable based on this photo.  The crooked nose is more noticeable and can be corrected to give you a refined look.  A deviated nose and septum, a bulbous tip and asymmetric nostrils is what I suspect from the limited photo.  Seek a consultation with experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to achieve the look you are looking for.  Best regards.

Elias G. Gikas, MD

Again these are very very personal decisions you can only make. Best to seek a few in person opinions... 

Is rhinoplasty worth it?

You are sensitive to the inherent asymmetry in every human's face. A crooked nose magnifies the problem.  Rhinoplasty is one of the most valuable surgical procedures we do.  Make a few consultation visits and move cautiously and you should  know if you want to change the appearance of your nose and if this will be worth it. If you procrastinate now you will only revisit this again in the future I suspect.

No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on limited 2 dimensional photos without examiningyou, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (ENT) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Minor facial asymmetry

I think any asymmetry of your face is very minor & the most obvious thing is your nose, and this is what is concerning you.  I think you should do well with a rhinoplasty, although often the nose never ends up completely straight.  3D Digital imaging would be most helpful to try to give you realistic expaectations of the outcome.  All the best

Kim Taylor, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Facial asymmetry or crooked nose?

I think that it is both, and this is usually the case. All faces are asymmetric and NORMAL.  A crooked nose can be improved, but it often is never perfectly straight.  

Crooked nose

Thank you for your question and one photo though a complete examination is really needed.  That said digitally altered photos at the time of your consultation may help you see how you might look following surgery

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty to straighten the crooked nose

Everyone has some degree of facial asymmetry which we deal with on a daily basis. The  crooked and asymmetrical nose can be addressed and made more symmetrical with a closed rhinoplasty procedure. To straighten the  crooked nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones, and possibly a spreader graft placed on the concave side. Spreader grafts are composed of the patient's own cartilage harvested from inside the nose at the same time. Once the nose has healed straight from the rhinoplasty, it should not drift back to its original  crooked position. For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Rhinoplasty for a Crooked Nose

You concerns can certainly be can be addressed with a standard rhinoplasty. It appears that your have a slightly crooked nose with a bulbous tip. An internal exam would need to be done to evaluate your nasal framework prior to making a final plan.  Seek a consultation with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon that can help you achieve the look you desire after surgery.

Gary Motykie, MD