Is it good if your surgeon is a member of the Rhinoplasty Society of Europe?

I'm trying to decide on a surgeon for rhinoplasty, 1 of which is a member of rhinoplasty society of europe. I wondered if this held any weight, in terms of helping make my decision, like being a member of BAAPS? Would he be the best option for specialising in rhinoplasty? All the surgeons seem to perform facial and body surgery so I'm finding it really hard to know who is the best to choose.

Most important - how many nose surgeries does he do a year?

Most importantly is his experience (not over a career, but currently!) How many nose surgeries does he do a year? Average busy nose surgeon does 50-100 rhinoplasties a year.  Highest end rhinoplasty surgeons do 300+ rhinoplasties a year.  This is of most importance.

Second is - does he do closed or open rhinoplasty? Closed rhinoplasty is the preferred choice ALWAYS for primary cosmetic rhinoplasty. 

Third - make sure he is board certified and has the highest qualifications needed to be performing these types of surgeries. 

All the best!

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon?

The answer to your question is no this is of no value to you whatsoever. What do you need to do is make sure your doctor is board certified and does many rhinoplasties per year. Most importantly his results should look very natural to you and do not rely on imaging for your decision. 

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon is based on training, experience and board certifications. In addition, look at the surgeon's portfolio of before and after rhinoplasty procedures, and make sure it is extensive. Belonging to a society  can be accomplished by simply paying dues.

Society membership tells you nothing.

You don't care about what society the surgeon belongs to, or what board he's certified by. You only care about the quality of his work. If you get a bad rhinoplasty because the surgeon isn't good at the operation, it'll be of little comfort to know that your doctor is board certified and a member of five prestigious societies.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. It contains a good section on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

I usually make computer morphs when I'm answering questions like this, to show what's possible with a rhinoplasty, but you didn't submit any photos. At the *very* bottom of that page is a link to instructions on taking photos that are most useful for online consultations like this.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question.  I would look more carefully at the board certification rather than that.   It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Being a member of the Rhinoplasty Society of Europe means very little as this is not the same as Board Certification. Better to look at a surgeon's before & after pictures. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS