Breast implants; can you explain to me what all this means?

The Brest unit is saying that I have a Becker ll grade contracture on my right implant & glandular tenderness The ultrasound scan confirmed implant related complications such as peri implant fluid collection or implant rupture I had them done to years a go left implant is soft but the right implant is getting harder by the day Could you explain to me what this all means Thank you for your help

Implant complications

Hi PoolsSoftness or hardness of an implanted breast can be described by the Baker classification where grade I is the feel of an un-operated breast, and IV is hard, painful, deformed, and may have other issues.The significance of peri-implant fluid is hard to say without clinical information including type of implants you have in, signs of infection, etc.It sounds like you will likely need to have the implants exchanged and the scar tissue, which is causing the problem, removed.  I suggest a visit to your plastic surgeon.
Sek

Right implant is getting harder by the day.

What you describe sounds as if you are developing a capsular contracture, or tightening scar around your right breast implant. See your plastic surgeon for a check and discussion of what might benefit.

Details on Capsular contracture

I am sorry to hear about the complications you are facing.

In breast augmentation, capsular contracture refers to tightening of the scar tissue that normally forms around the implants resulting in hardened, painful, and abnormal looking breasts with varying degrees of severity. The capsule is fibrous tissue that naturally forms when anything foreign is placed in our body – this happens with heart devices as well. However, when there is too much inflammation, fluid collection, or bacterial contamination, the fibrous capsule can start to scar down further and contract.

There are 4 grades/levels of capsular contracture:
  • Grade I — the breast is normally soft and appears natural in size and shape
  • Grade II — the breast is a little firm, but appears normal.
  • Grade III — the breast is firm and appears abnormal.
  • Grade IV — the breast is hard, painful to the touch, and appears abnormal.

If your breasts do not appear abnormal, or painful, then you do not require surgery.

In fact, grades 1 and 2 CC do not require surgery, and can be fixed with breast massaging and singulair.

Massaging will keep the naturally occurring capsule stretched hindering it from contracting. However, this should not be done excessively as you may further aggravate the breast pocket causing inflammation.

That being said, you can also help prevent a capsular contracture by having regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully.

Remember that your surgeon’s instructions should take precedence over everything else you read on here, so before doing anything, ask them.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your implant related issues.  Based on your narrative alone it sounds as if you are developing a progressive capsular contracture in your right breast. This occurs when the scar tissue that envelops your implant begins to tighten and harden, causing firmness to your breast and possible malposition of the implant.  See your plastic surgeon to discuss your options at treatment to either soften the capsule or to consider revision surgery.  Best wishes. 

Capsular contracture

Capsular contracture is when the wall that the body builds around the implant starts to contract and makes the breast tighter or changes its shape.  It can even cause pain at its most extreme.  Its normal to have  a little fluid around an implant.  An MRI would be  better test to tell if your implant is ruptured over your ultrasound test.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon

Explaining Capsular Contracture

It appears as though you have some fluid around the implant, and thickening/hardening of the capsule that is changing the shape of the implant somewhat.  I recommend you contact your plastic surgeon to discuss the issue, and they can come up with a good plan for you.

Dr. Dan Krochmal
MAE Plastic Surgery
Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon