I have to have surgery for Ovarian cancer.

If the dr. Has to remove extra tissue will my insurance cover a tummy tuck as reconstructive instead of cosmetic.

Abdominoplasty is always cosmetic

tummy tuck or abdominoplasty is always cosmetic in nature, meaning is not covered by health insurance.Although some doctors perform this procedure at the same time that other medical necessary procedures, in my opinion that is not a good idea.Be sure you seek the help of a ABPS certified surgeon.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Tummy tuck/Liposuction is known to be a cosmetic Procedure meaning it is not covered by insurance. 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck covered by insurance

Unfortunately, tummy tucks are not covered under insurance when done with another reconstructive procedure. A panniculectomy- or removal of excess hanging skin over the pubic area may sometimes may be covered by insurance. It is not the same procedure as a tummy tuck and not considered cosmetic. Schedule a consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and learn about your options.
Good luck during your cancer surgery.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and ovarian cancer surgery

Thank you for your question.I am sorry to hear about your ovarian cancer and I wish you the best in your recovery. Unfortunately, insurance will not cover a tummy tuck as it is not considered “medically necessary” and there is really no correlation between the two surgeries. If a doctor where to try and get it covered by insurance and it was solely for cosmetic reasons that could be considered insurance fraud. I would schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and get a quote on the cost of a tummy tuck. Most practices offer some type of payment plan. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic procedure during cancer operation

I can understand your desire to have something positive come from the cancer surgery. However, there is no reason to "remove extra tissue" and it will not be covered by insurance. There is no logical connection between the elements which would result in a tummy tuck and the female reproductive system. Best wishes for a speedy and lasting recovery.