Is my gynecomastia operable? (Photos)

I have had gynecomastia for almost a year now and have developed it in both sides now. I have seen a general surgeon that operated on my brothers and did a great job, but he says that my case isn't bad enough to want to move forward with removing it. He did say I may want to see a plastic surgeon. I am not comfortable with how it looks and it greatly affects my self esteem. It was mentioned that I could end up with a concave appearance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Doctor Answers 9

Candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your photos, you seem to be a candidate for gynecomastia removal surgery or male breast reduction. Healthy male patients with excess breast tissue or unwanted breast development who have no underlying breast disease.Men who desire improved physical and aesthetic appearance should have realistic expectations based on their condition and the procedure performed.

You should meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to be able to get a formal diagnosis and to be able to decide on a course of treatment if necessary.

Is my Gynecomastia Operable?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Wel, I would definitely agree that you should see a plastic surgeon for a live consultation and look into the operable nature of your gynecomastia and what the potential results may be. They would definitely be able to offer you any answers in person about whether or not surgery is a good idea, and the best procedure that would provide your desired results. 

Jed H. Horowitz, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 116 reviews

Operable Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear patb1290,
Yes, it is operable, and you do have enough tissue to make a decided improvement. You do not have much body hair, and in our practice we would offer you our preferred technique with no scar on the chest and no drainage tubes. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 22 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You definitely have gynecomastia. Correction would entail surgery.Surgery is performed as an outpatient procedure.

Is my gynecomastia operable?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
From your photos, your gynecomastia appears to be operable with an excellent results. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a full examination and evaluation. Best of luck.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

You have to make sure to pick the right surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.So be extremely careful choosing the right Plastic Surgeon at the beginning.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

Is my gynecomastia operable?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question and photographs.  Though your appearance is consistent with many men who elect to undergo gynecomastia surgery, at less than a year of development there is the possibility that it regresses spontaneously.  See a board certified plastic surgeon or your general practice doctor to try and determine the cause of your gynecomastia which can then help guide treatment.  If your appearance remains consistent for over a year then surgery to remove the glandular breast tissue would be the best option.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Gynecomastia Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
To answer your question about operability, the amount of gynecomastia you have is definitely operable and the results should be quite good when done by a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience and availability to multiple modalities including liposuction and areolar reduction. The problem for you, since you have only had it for a year, is why did you develop the problem. To determine that, you need to see your family doctor or an endocrinologist for an evaluation to see if you can reverse the problem, that it is stable and to be sure you will not regrow the problem after surgery. 

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Evaluation and Treatment of Gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A few photographs are not a real substitute for a history and examination. If the condition lasted for several years you may choose to be evaluated by an Endocrinologist to see if you have a medical explanation for the man breasts. Most insurance plans will pay for such evaluation. Odds are they will not find anything but it's worth doing for theocrats times they do. 
Are you taking or using anything associated with man breasts? Using anabolic steroids, smoking pot, using certain antacids or antidepressants? The list is long but it's well worth going over. 
Finally, the vast majority of Gynecomastia cases can be treated nicely with liposuction and some excision of the breast gland. I would see a qualified Plastic surgeon for it. 

Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.