Wanting larger implant than recommended, can weight gain make it look better?

hi, I am thin, short, with very little breast tissue. My surgeon recommended 335cc full profile. I decided I want 365cc FP. If it ends up making my skin look too stretched, thin, or veiny, can gaining weight soften the look? I've heard people tell me when they gain weight it goes to their hips and boobs. Just curious.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Can weight gain improve the appearance of my breasts after augmentation?

It is unlikely that gaining weight after breast augmentation will add to the natural appearance of your breasts.  Although additional fat volume in a thin person may enhance the look of the breasts, there is no way to direct your body to deposit fat in the areas that you desire.  Make sure you are comfortable with how the implants will look on you before surgery to help avoid any post-op concerns.  Good luck.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Do not count on weight gain!

Hi SuzieQue00, Thank you for your question. Where you show your weight gain depends on your genetics. Everyone you know may show weight gain in their hips and breasts, and you may get it all in the belly! Also, maintaining a low, but healthy weight is akin to a long healthy life, so I would not recommend weight gain in your plan. What I would do is start at home by doing the Rice Test. You can look it up online. It's something I have all of my patients do to help determine exactly how much volume they actually want. Along with photos, it's a great tool to also show your surgeon exactly what you're picturing as your outcome.  Then it's your surgeon's job to help council you on sizing from there. It's a collaborative process and he shouldn't be telling you what you should have, it's up to you! He IS there to let you know when a request is not safe or realistic, but the size you want to be is yours. As always, please seek out at least two opinions from board certified plastic surgeons experience with this procedure. Best of luck to you!

William Aiello, MD

You do not say in which plane the implants  where placed, under or over pectoral muscles. Under the pectoral muscles, if there is space enough, the look should be very natural after the skin adapts to the volume.Breast have a fat component too so if you gain weight  the fat component will increase.

Adolfo Sesto, MD