Is this much swelling normal? Or are implants placed too high? (Photo)

It's only been 4 days post surgery but can you foresee a good result down the road or am I off to a bad start? I feel like the upper pole swelling is quite severe from the side view.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation swelling

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your concerns after surgery. You´re in the very early stage of healing to be concerned about the results. Healing after plastic surgery is a process and the earlier parts are the most challenging.  Emotions are a big part of the process as well. It takes from 3 to 6 months for implants to fully settle, give it some time and if after a couple of months you´re still concerned, adress this issue to your surgeon. Best of luck!

You are very early from surgery and need to give yourself time for the swelling to subside, the tissues relax, and the implants settle. Most implants do settle over the next 6 weeks, but some  might take up to 6 months. Your doctor may give you some massaging techniques, depending upon the type of implant used, which can be helpful. Large implants and women with little breast tissue sometimes take longer to settle. Please discuss any concerns you have with your doctor.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is this much swelling normal? Or are implants placed too high?

All implants generally start off high like you are seeing in your profile pic. Over the next several weeks, they will drop and become softer. Do not worry and keep all of your follow up appointments with your surgeon. You look to be at a normal stage in recovery at this point. Enjoy your new augmentation. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Swelling or Implants riding too high?

Thank you for your question Suzie.

It is completely normal to be concerned about your results. I humbly request you to not be discouraged and know that you are not alone in feeling this. Large number of women come to conclusions about their surgical results not expecting various other factors that influence the final outcome. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

That being said, I believe your breasts are coming along really well as is expected this early after surgery.

Any surgery, breast augmentation included, creates swelling that will take time to resolve.  The more extensive the surgery, the longer for the swelling to settle.  In our practice we generally tell our patients that they should wait a month before 95% of the swelling is gone and at that time they can go out and by new bras.  

Although swelling may be present, what you are thinking to be severe swelling is actually the implant. Implants initially sit high up when placed under the muscle because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio.

Currently, you are way too early in the recovery period. It will take at least 3 to 6 months to achieve final results. If the breasts still appear high in the upper pole at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem.

Patience is key!

Please continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing beautifully. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Looks about perfect to me for this early. It can often be very worrisome to patients early on because they have no experience with this healing process and the changes that occur over time. This will change for weeks/months (not days/weeks) and at this point appears to be fine.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD