Hair stylist getting BA, 6 day recovery enough?

Hi, all the PS I've consulted with say they've performed BA on many hair stylists and a week recovery is plenty. When reading recovery journeys on this site, many say they have a hard time raising their arms over their head. The most laborious part of hair styling is blowdrying hair. This process is mostly arms up above my head for 20-30 minutes at a time with lots of tension using the brush. I'm very worried I might cause harm to my recovery but am unable to take off more time from work.

Don’t rush your recovery.

Thanks for your question. Planning ahead before breast augmentation is important, but it’s sometimes difficult to know exactly how much downtime you’ll need from work. In your situation, there are physical demands from your job and it’s important to make sure you don’t jeopardize your healing by returning to work too quickly. As much as you would like to make definite plans on returning to work, you’ll likely need to stay flexible and follow your plastic surgeon’s advice as he or she determines how quickly you’re healing.

Recovery Timeline

In my practice 5-7 days is usually sufficient to allow a return to desk work but for hairstylists I typically advise two weeks off.
All the best

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast augmentation and work

6 days might be a bit soon for a hair stylist to go back to work.  The key with breast augmentation patients is to minimize exertion for several weeks.

Post-Op

You may have some degree of pain, which I would recommend taking Tylenol prior to work.  Also, try and keep you elbows to your hips, so minimize flexion of the pectoralis major muscle.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Hair stylist with 6 days off

I think that 6 days off should be plenty.  I have performed augmentations on many hairstylists and I usually tell them to take off about one week.  That being said, you might not want a twelve hour day on your first day back.Best wishes and good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Breast augmentation and styling hair six days postop

Breast augmentation and styling hair six days postop  is performed frequently in my practice.  I use the quick recovery technique and encourage arm movement above the head the first day after surgery. Using anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen  600 mg every six hours for six days is very beneficial to inhibit pain and inflammation. The use of  Exparel  which is a 72 hour long acting anesthetic solution  is revolutionizing the postoperative recovery in breast augmentation.   Additionally, vitamin E  1000 international units twice a day is beneficial postoperative as an antioxidant and to prevent capsular contracture. Best wishes in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Yes a fine plan

I think this is fine and would use Exparel as a long lasting medicine for post operative pain control. A muscle relaxant and anti inflammatory combo after procedure is a big help as well. We do this all the time with 4-5 days then your back in action but a bit sore. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Recovery After Breast Augmentation.

Hello, and thanks for the question. In most cases, the breast implant is placed under the pectoralis (chest ) muscle. This is because the muscle adds an extra layer if tissue over the upper part of the implant and the look/feel of the implants is more natural for most patients. There is also a lower incidence of a complication called "capsular contracture" (hardening/thickening of the scar tissue around the implant) when implants are placed under the muscle.The pectoralis muscle is actually attatched to the bone of the upper arm at the level of the shoulder. This is why it hurts to raise the arms in the early post op period. I typically tell patients who work at a desk/computer that 1 week off work is generally fine, but patients with more physically active jobs (and I actually use hair stylists as an example!) should consider 10-14 days if possible. If you can't take more time, try to reduce the workload/work at the front desk or other modifications. You are unlikely to hurt yourself or compromise your result if you go back at one week, but they might be tough days. Make sure your movements are slower and controlled when cutting and blow-drying and use a more supportive bra.Best of luck!

Is 6 days a long enough recovery?

Many of my patients are hairstylists, nail techs, etc., and a lot of them will have surgery on a Tuesday and return to work on Saturday.  You may not be at full strength or energy, but as long as you are comfortable, you should be fine.  Just take it easy and listen to your body.  Good luck!