8 Months Post Op Tummy Tuck and Lipo with extreme ridge, advice? (photos)

TT with Lipo 8 months ago. I still have this hard ridge above my incision & rest of my stomach / sides are squishy. The PS told me I needed to lose weight. I have not gained weight, I eat clean & work out 5 days a week. He then advised the incision may be too tight and he can go back in thru the same incision and remove the fat and make it lay smoother and I would be much happier with the results. I was told the longer I wait to have this done the better the outcome. I have scheduled in January.

Tummy Tuck Scar Revision

Thank you for your question and photos. It appears that a scar revision will be required to remove additional fat and smooth out excess skin. It is a good idea to wait until a year post op as this gives your tissues a chance to naturally soften and heal.

All the best

Revision after tummy tuck

Waiting a year to allow the tissues to heal and soften is worthwhile.

You will benefit from revising the scar.

Good luck.

Atul Kesarwani, MD, FRCSC

Ridge 8 Months Post-Op

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, while it is understandable that the positioning of your scars, as well as the swelling around the area of your procedure may still be healing you should definitely visit your surgeon if you find yourself concerned or worried at all about healing. Remember that your follow-up appointments are included in the cost of your procedure and you should never hesitate to visit your surgeon if you are worried at all. Good luck!

Revision tummy tuck - is my surgeon's plan a good one?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck result.

• Your surgeon is giving you good advice -- 
  • Waiting until January and removing the excess fat will help.
  • But the photo suggests that you have a short incision with a lot of excess skin.
  • So the scar needs to be extended and revised to remove the excess skin as well as the excess fat. 
  • This means a substantial revision - extending the scar and doing lower abdominal liposuction.
  • If it was your choice to have a short-incision 'mini' tuck against your surgeon's advice, it is likely you will be charged for the scar revision.
  • Results like this are the reason that the longer scar is usually recommended - but it definitely can be corrected if both excess skin and fat are removed.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Scar revision

I would recommend revising that scar so the incision results in a nice curvilinear contour across your lower abdomen.  Only removing fat will not correct the scar.  

Tummytuck Revision

Lisa.  Your photos demonstrate the need for the minor revision your surgeon is recommending, and I agree. I also agree to wait until January to allow all swelling and scar tissue to subside. Revisions are sometimes needed after Tummytuck surgery and it sounds like your surgeon is doing the right thing, stay the course! Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Ridge of tissue

Based on your history you look like a revision would be best for you. Ideally you should wait until you are close to a year out from your first surgery. That tissue won't settle on its own 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Extreme ridge after Tummy Tuck

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your pictures.  In my opinion, you had a poorly executed tummy tuck.  This needs revision.  Seek the evaluation of additional plastic surgeons to get the best treatment options.

Best wishes