6 months post-op. Revision needed? (Photos)

The left side of my incision pulled up not long after surgery leaving that side with a rolled up appearance. It hasn't relaxed much in six months. It also feels very tight all the time. I have large bulging love handles on my sides. My surgeon wants to wait longer, maybe up to two years for this thing to relax down more. If it doesn't resolve with time I've been told by the staff that an in-office revision under local anesthetic would be possible. If I was YOUR patient what would you recommend?

Revision surgery in post bariatric patients

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photos and fact that you underwent body sculpting after what appears significant weight loss, being patient and waiting as long as possible is your best option. I share your surgeon's opinion in that regard. Unfortunately, stretched skin like yours does not respond to surgery very well and additional revisions (tailoring) is frequently required. 

There is no doubt that you will need revision of lower abdomen (lowering of the current scar that is too high), correction of deformities in the flanks (dog ears), liposuction and lifting of areolas. Be patient. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

6 months post op: Revision needed?

The revision you require can easily be performed now. The inflammation and healing potential of the tissues is greater the sooner after surgery than later as cells are already recruited into the area. But there is no harm in waiting either. It appears that the "dog ears", those unsightly bulges in the flanks, are the major issue. Unless a circumferential or belt-line abdominoplasty is performed at the outset these are commonly seen. Your surgeon can "chase" these out under local in the outpatient surgical suite. While there, a double-breasting of the fat of the upper skin can be accomplished to even out the step deformity as well as adjusting of the left side redundant skin in front.

Hope this helps

Ken Dolynchuk, MD
Manitoba Plastic Surgeon

You may need a revision

It is always hard to say and hard to second guess why your surgeon wants to wait perhaps he has a very good reason such as swelling or inflammation.  That being said I would probably offer you a revision at this point as I doubt it will completely settle out on its own from the pictures and limited information.  Get a second in person opinion if you are not confidant in what you are being told.  Best of luck!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon