Would 390-400cc silicone implants be to much for me? (Photo)

I'm booking my mommy makeover this coming winter. Would 390-400cc implants be too much for me or to little?

Breast Lift With Implants

Breast changes vary widely from patient to patient. Changes in a woman’s breasts after childbirth, when the mother is no longer lactating, the breast glands will shrink. Most often this leaves the breasts smaller especially in the upper portion and possibly with excess loose skin which causes the breasts to sag. In this case, breast augmentation may allow the patient to achieve her desired breast shape and size. There is the option to have the augmentation and life together. If there is too much loose skin and sagging, following pregnancy, then a breast lift is required. This procedure essentially removes excess skin to tighten and lift the remaining skin and breast tissues. The incisions vary depending upon the amount of skin to be removed. Some women benefit from a combination of these two procedures called an “augmentation-mastopexy.” In a few women, breasts actually enlarge, especially if there is a post pregnancy weight gain, and a reduction and Mastopexy combination may be most appropriate.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.
From your photos, it appears you would benefit from a Breast Lift.  A Breast Lift would reposition your nipples and reshape your breasts, giving them a more youthful appearance.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.
Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast implants

Thank you for your question. Breast implant selection is an important process and requires good communication between you and your surgeon. Typically, breast measurements are initially obtained to provide an initial guide to implants appropriate for your chest. It's then advised that you try different sizers in a normal bra with a tight t-shirt to get an idea of what your breasts would look like. It's important to focus on the look that you want instead of a specific cup size or implant size.  Based on your photo, it appears that you would also need a breast lift.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Finding the right size

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon.

Breast Lift candidate

You appear to be a candidate for a mastopexy/breast lift. I would not put implants alone in these breasts. Seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam.

Choosing present implants

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • You will definitely need a breast lift as well as an augmentation.
  • Since one side is considerably larger, it will probably need a small reduction as well.
  • Choosing the implants needs to be done in person - as it depends on your height, weight, chest measurements and your personal 'wish look.'
  • I suggest you find pictures of results that appeal to you AND buy a bra you want to fill out.
  • Take the bra and pictures to your consultation so that you with your surgeon can choose the right implant.
  • When a lift is done at the same time, for safety reasons, most surgeons will not place an implant larger than 400.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Would 390-400cc silicone implants be to much for me?

Thank you for the question and picture. Based on your photograph, you should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.  

On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications.
Ultimately, you will do well select your plastic surgeon carefully and communicating your goals, questions, and concerns. In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.
Also, generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Breast lift and/or implants

Based on this one photo, it appears you likely may need a breast lift either before, after or during your breast augmentation. I recommend consulting with an experienced plastic surgeon for an exam in person as 400cc implants may be too heavy for your tissues.

William Bruno, MD

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Will 400cc silicone implants be too much for you?

It's hard to tell in photos what will be best for you.  I would recommend a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine what cc's will suit you best.  At my practice, I allow my patients to try on implants prior to surgery so they are able to see what they can expect.  It's proven to be very helpful.  Good luck!