After my Mommy Makeover can I lift my 20lb, walking, 11month old at 2 weeks post op?

I had a mommy makeover on 11/25/14 which included a tummy tuck and breast reduction. I feel really good and can pretty much take care of myself. I am limited in how high I can reach and bending over though. I have even run the vacuum with limited swelling. I still rest when my kids nap but I am ready to try and get back to our routine. Does it sound like I am healing well enough to start lifting her? I will ask my surgeon of course. I'm just impatient! Thank you.

Lifting Small Children While Recovering from a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Restrictions directivity after mommy makeover should come exclusively from your surgeon.

I personally don't see a problem with the modest lifting you're describing two weeks after mommy makeover. Nevertheless this is a question that should be addressed only to your own plastic surgeon.

Lifting and post-op MM

You should contact your board certified plastic surgeon. His/her preference and protocol is what you should follow. Having said that, in my office, I do not suggest lifting anything heavier than 5 lbs for 4-6 weeks after surgery.

Thank you for your question!

Lifting

That is great that you are doing so well after your surgery.  In my practice, we would think that it is still too early to lift your child.   Please consult with your surgeon.  Every patient is different, but I would suggest you wait 6-8 weeks before lifting him. 

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Not here

The best answer to these questions is from your surgeon.  Only he or she knows exactly what was done in surgery.  We, though well meaning might advise you poorly.  So please, please, give them a call.  That's what I would hope and pray my patient would do.

Ritu Chopra, MD