Extremely hard lumps behind nipples after surgery. Any suggestions?

I had gynecomastia surgery 6 weeks ago (liposuction + gland removal). The result is very disappointing: my chest looks a bit better but the area around the nipples is a disaster. Hard lumps, I guess scar tissue, started developing about a week ago. It is very noticeable, even through cloths... I am getting depressed because of this. I paid a lot of money for the surgery and I now look worse than before. Are these lumps actually scar tissue ? And will it go away with time ?

Hard nipples after gyneomastia

6 weeks is too early to worry.  You are still swollen, for sure.  Try to be patient and follow your doctor's instruction (wrap, massage?) and in 3 months you will feel a lot better!  Time is on your side.  Some docs will inject dilute steroids or use lymphatic massaging.  This may speed things up.

Post Gynecomastia care

It is common to have indurated hard tissue in the chest region after gynecomastia surgery, especially when the surgery involves liposuction. In order to speed up the healing process and soften the tissues I do recommended my patients to get 5 sessions of lymphatic drainage massage with ultrasound treatment. I have seen a quick recovery and improved shape with those treatments.

Good luck

At this point it is common to have some scar tissue. In most cases, with time and  a little massage, they get better. I think following up with your surgeon so they can examine you in person is a good diea.

Julio Garcia, MD

Lumps Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely.

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.