Does massage technique immediately following Coolscupting make a difference?

I just had cool sculpt on arms and ab. The tech did all of the massaging afterward except the very last section which the doc did. The doc showed the tech how she was doing it wrong. The tech was firm but not extreme. The doc insisted it had to be very hard, torture was her word and did so on the last section of my ab. Will there be a different result in that section which is quite a lot more swollen than the rest today. I had the procedure yesterday

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
Manual massage increases the results by up to 68%
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Massage following CoolSclupting treatment

Massaging the area for 2 minutes following the CoolSculpting treatment is now a standard technique. Usually, the area is massaged in a kneading motion, then a circular one to break up the area and it can also aid in targeting the surrounding fat cells. However, the massage does not need to be very hard or torturous. It is also not required to do any more massage on your own after treatment. 

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Massage technique

Massage is recommended but I do not think that the difference will matter. Basically, you want to break up the frozen area. Your result will not vary depending on how someone massages. It does not have to be painful or extreme. Originally we did not massage and results were still great. I think it helps but don't worry about this difference in technique. 

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Massage Technique

Manual massage post CoolSculpting is recommended by the manufacturer to get best results. I would not think that the difference between the the two massages should yield too big of a difference in treatment efficacy but it is understandable that a physician would want her patients to get the best possible result available from the technology. Keep a close eye on the progress and if you notice a sizeable difference in the result my recommendation would be that you go back to the practice that treated you and ask that they retreat the areas where you are less impressed with your results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Massage after Coolsculpting

The massaging after Coolsculpting has been shown to make the procedure 68% more effective in studies per my Zeltiq rep.  You can massage at home too.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Massage after Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is a fabulous laser for freezing your fat and reducing a bulge by 25% in a given area.  Massage is an integral part of the procedure but it does not have to be a painful massage.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculting who has the latest applicators.

Massage technique immediately following Coolsculpting

Yes, the massage post CoolSculpting increases treatment efficacy by 68% with a post-procedure manual two minute massage.  The manual massage should be a deep massage for the first minute and then a firm circular massage for the second minute.  This technique is designed to cause further damage to the frozen fat cells to encourage cell death resulting in a better outcome. 

Massage after CoolSculpting

Yes it matters.  In your final result I don;t believe the amount of pressure uses would be enough to make an uneven result.

Coolsculpting and Massage / Z Wave

The best results come from massage and z wave post treatment. If a practice doesn't do this, you will not get the best or ultimate outcomes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Massage Matters

Yes, the massage matters. Studies show that it can deepen the results by breaking up already weakened cells and it helps jump start the lymphatic system. It may also explain the added swelling you experienced in that treatment area. It's not to say that you won't have a good result in your other treatment areas, but we definitely focus on intensive massage to get the best results.