Enhancing my Size After Reconstruction. Can I Do That?

I had a dbl mastectomy with a nipple sparing reconstruction. Everything turned out great but now i am wishing I went somewhat bigger. Can that still be done?

Enhancing Breast Size After Reconstruction

Yes, you can enhance your implant size after reconstruction. However, the plastic surgeon needs to evaluate the skin integrity after the mastectomy. Going somewhat larger in the future, within safe boundaries, is possible.

Breast Reconstruction Revision

you likely can go bigger but this will require additional surgery.  what procedure(s) will be required will depend on what sort of reconstruction you initially had done - implant based or using your own tissue?  Please see a board certified PS to learn more about your options.

Breast reconstruction with implant, diep flap, TUG flap, SGAP flap

Autologous reconstruction or reconstruction with you won tissue is more easily augmented with fat grafting or with placement of implants.  If there has been radiation treatment to either side or both then I perform fat grafting .

Can I go larger after reconstruction?

Hard to say without knowing what type of reconstruction you have had. But, I would say that if you have received radiation after your mastectomies then you may not be able to go larger, but if not their is a good possibility that you can. I would tell you to follow up with your PS and discuss your concerns . Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Larger breasts

You possibly can go larger depending upon your anatomy and what operation was done for you previously.

Size changes after reconstruction.

It is certainly possible to increase implant size following the secnod stage of reconstruction. There is a limit to size increase though. How much larger depends upon the thickness and compliancy of the tissues and whether or not any radiation damage is present. A follow consultation with your plastic surgeon can help you with these questions.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon