How soon can I start to work out after mommy makeover?

I am 4 weeks post op... Breast lift and implant, skin only tummy tuck and BBL... I started doing Crossfit before surgery and would like to resume working out again as soon as I can. When would be a good timeframe for me to resume this type of workout? Thanks in advance for your responses!

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

Healing after the procedure will take time. I have my patients out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred. No lifting or straining. At three weeks increased level of activity and full, no restrictions, at 6 weeks. While there still may be a little swelling or bruising of the breasts into the third month, everything should be fine for full activity at this point. If you ever have any concerns at all then you should contact your surgeon right way about the healing process. 

Working out after Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and congratulations on wanting to continue a fitness regimen after your surgery.  I usually recommend patients wait 6 weeks before working out vigorously.  Hope this helps.

Mommy Makeover

I would always consult with your PS and ask his/her opinion as only your PS will know what has been done. In my practice patients can start working out at this stage although you should start off gradually. I would also recommend pts to remain in some form of compression while working out. Ask your PS.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

When to workout again

It should be alright to start light exercise at this point in your recovery. I recommend that all my patients keep their heart rate under 100 and not lift more than 10 pounds for at least 3 weeks following surgery. I would recommend waiting until at least 6-8 weeks to do any strenuous exercise including lifting over 20 pounds. I would wait until 8 weeks to start Crossfit again since it is such a high intensity workout with a lot of heavy lifting and you had multiple procedures done.  Better safe than sorry.  Every surgeon is different so please refer to your specific doctors instructions since they know your situation better.  Good luck in your recovery.

Working out after mommy makeover

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I usually ask my patients to refrain from strenuous activity for 6 weeks post op. They may start with light activity at 4 weeks and gradually work up to their regular routine after 6 weeks. I would however advise you to ask your surgeon he/she knows what's  best for you specifically. 

All the best! 
Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Gradually . . .

This also depends upon how the individual patient is doing post-operatively (with respect to swelling, potential healing issues, etc), but generally I recommend that moderate exertion (walking on a treadmill, bicycling) is OK at 4 weeks, but patients should wait until at least 6 weeks to engage in strenuous exercise, stretching (yoga), jogging and the like, and then only as tolerated, and with good supportive garments in place.  Use your perception of swelling and/or pain to give you feedback as to whether you are overdoing it, but as always, it is best to stay in touch with your surgeon as to what they recommend, since they know exactly what procedures were done, and how you are responding post-op . . .

Exercising After a Mommy Makeover

You should discuss this with your surgeon. For my patients, I want them to wait six weeks before resuming formal exercise, and then it should be gradually. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Exercising post MM breast and abdominal surgery

Your surgery was extensive and cross fit is a big stressor. I would recommend you talk to your surgeon about return to the gym. He/she knows how you are progressing and would make a much better determination of when it is safe to get started again. It could present a problem if you start exercising at a high level too soon.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Exercise?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise by six weeks following a mommy makeover.   it is best to have an in-person follow up examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing at this time. Good luck in your recovery.

Ask your surgeon about resuming workouts after mommy makeover

With a skln-only tummy tuck your restrictions on activity are not as much as when a muscle repair is done, but it is still a good idea to follow your own surgeon's guidance on this. Usually 6 weeks for unlimited activity unless your surgeon recommends otherwise.

Richard Baxter, MD