I may need a breast lift with implants. Will I get keloid scars?

I keloid, BADLY, I have implant, with a small scar that slightly keloid, now I want to redo them, I may need a breast life along with implants, will I keloid?

Since I Have A Tendency To Keloid, Will I Get Keloid Scars On My Breast Lift Incisions?

If you are a true keloid former, most likely you will get keloid scars after incisions on your breasts or any other parts of your body. 

Keloid scarring is controlled by one's immune system.  It's almost as if you have an overly good immune system to keep your wounds from opening up.  The good news is, very often what is referred to as a keloid is really just a hypertrophic scar which can be decreased in visibility by intra operative and post operative techniques.

During a breast lift, your plastic surgeons can close the incision in layers, thereby taking tension off the suture line.  Also, some lifts only require an incision around the nipple areolar complex which means less incisions, and therefore less scarring.

Post operatively, scarring can be dealt with by pressure on the incisions by tape leading to thinner, less visible scars.  Also, many hospitals have interventional radiologists who can use either electron radiation or ortho voltage radiation to inhibit a scar's ability to become thick or ropey or hyper pigmented. 

At this point and armed with the information given you by your RealSelf team of experts, you can now visit several Board Certified plastic surgeons to get multiple opinions as to how you may progress in your quest for less droopy breasts with minimal scarring.

Keloid

Your previous surgery may be an indication of how badly you will scar with a breast lift.  There are ways to try to minimize your scarring after surgery.  Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon who can give you the best advice.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Keloid scars

In 23 years of practice I have never seen a keloid scar from breast augmentation. For thicker scar formers we place them on prophylactic micro hole fractional erbium laser with steroid fluids dripped into the holes starting on week 2 or 3. Also a vigorous micropore tape protocol will help.  

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

There is no way to predict exactly how the scars will heal and look after time, but in most cases if you have a history of scars that keloid, there is a higher chance you will notice the same result with the scars of a lift.

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Keloids are most unusual after breast implant surgery.

The word "keloid" is come to mean any scar the doesn't look good. Technically speaking is not what keloid is. A visit with a plastic surgeon familiar with the technique should give you a better idea of what scar to expect.

Breast Implant Revision

Hi,
Sorry you are a keloid former.  There are many ways to treat and prevent keloids, but they don't all work 100% of the time.  So the past if the best predictor of the future and you would be at high risk.  Only you can decide what to do.  Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Keloids and breast lift

If you form keloids and as you say badly, then you should not have a breast lift because it is likely it will keloid as well.  Sorry

Unfortunately, if you have a history of poor scarring, it is more likely that you will experience similar scarring with additional surgery, despite best efforts. Best to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can view your current scarring and provide you with more specific advice,  then online consultants will be able to do. Ultimately, you will need to make a decision whether your desire to proceed with breast lifting is worth the potential risk of poor scarring. You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast lifting concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.