What do I need to do and what supplies do I need to bring with me for my mommy makeover?

I would love ideas of what medicine/scar cream or supplies I need to bring with me to be comfortable after my surgery. And any other supplies I might need?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with mommy makeover surgery. Given that every plastic surgeons practice is different, it will be in your best interests to ask this question of your plastic surgeon. Otherwise, the advice you receive online can be less than relevant/specific enough. Since you are about to undergo a major operation with physical/emotional recovery times often underestimated by patients and their plastic surgeons, some advice ( that I provide to my patients) may be helpful to you:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Supplies for Mommy Makeover Recovery

It's suggested to speak to your surgeon or their staff about their recommendations based on your specific needs. They will provide you will the material and information you will need to prepare for your #post-operative #recovery. 

Preparation

It would be best if you check with your surgeon for his pre-op recommendations. Good luck, Dean Vistnes 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make-Over Recovery

Contact the patient coordinator or nurse at your board certified plastic surgeon's office and ask them for a list of needed supplies. Every surgeon and every office is different and it is important that you know exactly what your surgeon expects. Best wishes!

Christine Sullivan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make over

Dear Yenic,
   Every plastic surgery practice has it's own guide lines in regard to surgery. once you did you due diligence research and selected an experienced board certified plastic surgeon that you trust. you should follow his or her's recommendation. In my practice, the patients bring to the surgery center their medication which include antibiotics, pain medicatio and anti nausea medication. Patients are encouraged to drink lots of fluids after surgery and ambulate in order to avoid complications. In the first 24 hours after surgry, an adult has to stay with the patient for their safety. For wound care patient will need at home Q tips, Hydrogen peroxide ( 3% ) , Bacitracin ointment and gauze. Creams for scar healing are allowed 2 weeks after surgery. I hope this help.
                     Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
McLean Plastic Surgeon

Supplies to bring when you have mommy makeover

Patients having a mommy makeover in our outpatient surgery center are discharged to home following their surgery after spending and hour or hour and a half in our recovery room.  We ask patients to bring the medications which were prescribed so that we can review the meds with the patient and caregiver.  The abdominal binder is provided but patients are allowed to purchase the sports bra of their choice as long as it has a front closure.  For discharge, patients should have a comfortable pair of pants that are soft and easy to wear over their garment. Pajamas with a top that buttons in front and an elastic waistband are fine. Others may choose yoga pants that are loose and a zip front jacket.  Flat, comfortable shoes that are easy to slip on are recommended. 

Most practices will provide you with instructions that are specific to the particular surgeon.  It is fine to contact your surgeon's office if you need more details on preparation for surgery.

Christopher J. Morea, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Supplies for tummy tuck

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon's office will guide you through the process. I ask my patients to bring the abdominal binder and medications with them the day of the surgery. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

What Supplies to Bring for a Mommy Makeover

Your plastic surgeon will let you know what supplies to bring, if any. This is what some of my patients have brought with them to keep them entertained in case of a wait:
  • Earbuds with music (with an phone, iPod, etc.)
  • Kindle
  • Book (usually fluffy and light so it's easy on the brain)
  • Magazines (though your surgical facility may have lots of fun ones)
  • Knitting
  • Journal
We ask our patients to bring warm socks, which gives us the opportunity to see lots of fun designs!

The most important thing is to follow your own surgeon's instructions carefully. Each practice is a little different. Something that works at one place might conflict with the protocol at another. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Usually at your pre-operative appointment-- the instructions will be given to you by your surgeon. It will depend  on what exact procedures you're having. The meds will be prescribed before your surgery- you can bring them the day of your surgery with you.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Mommy makeover supplies.

Typically do not need to bring anything special or aftercare after your mommy makeover procedure. I am not one to favor creams for incisions during the recovery process. I would ask your plastic surgeon on what he or she recommends regarding this matter and other supplies.